Does anyone know what type of sailing dinghy this is?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
What is it?

Does anyone know what type of sailing dinghy this is? I know it's not a Ericson for sure, ha ha, and it is only 10 feet long with a 4' 3" beam, so it's not a Laser. The guy who sold it to me (only a 100 bucks) said he was told it was a Hobie Holder. I can't find any info on a 10 foot Hobie mono hull. There is a logo that depicts a Mosquito or a Bee on the sail. I have searched all over the web and can't find any info on this boat. Hope you folks don't mind that this is not a Ericson related subject. I will post a photo of the sail logo later.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 432
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 430

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tip of my tongue

I just can't recall the name-but I remember this boat-it was in the Laser, Force 5 heyday, but a tad smaller. I DO know where you would likely find it, though.
Sail or Yachting magazine used to publish a guide to boat makes/models-a good, long established boat dealer in your area might have one in his/her bookcase-as might a sailmaker who has been around for a while-they have not been published in several years, and you would be looking for something from the mid-late 70's.

Jeff-you are in the LA area, right? I would try Elloitt-Pattison sailmakers-as if they have the old Sail/Yachting production boat guide. Or maybe one of the long established boat dealers in Del Rey-is Anchorage Yachts still around (they used to sell Ericsons)? Maybe the Hunter dealer maight have a copy.

But, between a sailmaker or old time boat dealer, someone will have this guide-and this boat will be in the dinghy section-for sure.

I will do some checking in the meantime-I love a challenge!
Cheers

Mindscape

Member III
Dyer Flyer??

Jeff - could this be a Dyer Flyer - this was a 10 footer from Dyer out of Warren, RI. Still looking around but the logo is kind of a D with wings. I'll keep looking for anything else that might be close. (I'm looking in one of the old Cruising World Insignia guides).

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
sailin dinghy

Jeff,

I have no idea what make it is, but you got a heck of a deal! Does he have another at that price?

Keith

bigtyme805

Member III
Jeff

Looks like a Hobie Holder 12 to me. The person you got it from probably gave you the wrong size. Hobie does make a 10.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Saline Solution"

Here are the photos of the Sail with the mystery logo of a Bee or Mosquito. I still have no idea what this saline Dinghy is. I have also posted photos of the newly LP ed bottom and buffed out deck. I will be trying her out this weekend. I have christened her "Saline Solution".

:confused:

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 240
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 255
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 258

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Not there

Frustrating, huh? Not on that list, ut I recall that logo, and just can't place it..

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cute

Funny, I remember THAT one, too! But somewhere, deep in the past, I DO recall that logo...Just can't place it..Sorry! :esad:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Bad news, too big for the Dink!

Thanks Seth, keep trying to remember!

Bad news, I did a sea trial with this Dink and I am just too big for it (195 lbs). I really had to get up some speed so that it would self bail through the drains in the transom. I also had to move pretty far forward in the cockpit to keep the water out. She's not that tender but I really think it is a boat for a much smaller person like youngster or a teenager. So I am putting it up for sale now that I have restored it to Bristol Condition. New LP on the bottom, varnished rudder and tiller, added tiller extension and new running rigging. How does $450.00 sound? I will do a post in the For Sale and Wanted section a little later. I am bummed because it is a well built and pretty little Dink.

:boohoo: