Do I Need A Weight Distribution Hitch? E25/Ford Excursion

E25CANADA

Boat Model: E25
Trailer: Heavy Duty Dual Axle
Tow Vehicle: 2000 Ford Excursion
Hitch Type: MAX GTWR (LB)/MAX TONGUE WT (LB)
Weight Distributing: 10,000/1,000
Weight Carrying: 5,000/500

Does anyone use a weight distributing hitch? For example:

https://www.etrailer.com/partlist/Ford/Excursion/Weight Distribution

Etrailer Pro Series Weight Distribution System w Friction Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 1,000 lbs TW

[h=3]Pro Series Weight Distribution - PS49903[/h]Featuring friction sway control, this weight-distribution system includes an adjustable shank, and its flexible, powder coated steel, round spring bars create a level ride for both your trailer and your tow vehicle. Fits 2" trailer hitches.

Features:

• Evenly distributes tongue weight to the axles of tow vehicle and trailer for stability and control
    • Creates a more level ride for both tow vehicle and trailer
  • Friction sway control reduces sway caused by winds, curving roads and sudden maneuvers
    • Adjustable tension lets you create the perfect degree of control and resistance
    • Integrated handle engages and disengages the system
    • Removable - just release 2 spring locking pins
  • Round, forged steel spring bars are tapered for superior flexibility
    • Bars flex appropriately over uneven terrain for a controlled, even ride
  • Adjustable spring-bar tension - just switch links in lift chains to fine-tune
  • Desired tilt of head and system is achieved by adding washers to a rivet inside the weight-distribution head
  • Solid steel shank is powder coated for rust protection
  • System includes head assembly, adjustable shank, lift brackets, round bars, lift chains, pin and clip, friction sway control, 2-5/16" hitch ball and all necessary hardware

Specs:

• Tongue weight: 750 to 1,000 lbs
  • Gross towing weight: 10,000 lbs
  • Fits: 2" x 2" trailer hitch receivers rated for use with a weight-distribution system
  • Shank length: 12-1/2"
  • Maximum rise: 6" from top of hitch receiver opening
  • Maximum drop: 2" from top of hitch receiver opening
  • Hitch ball dimensions:
    • Diameter: 2-5/16"
    • Shank length: 2-1/2"
    • Shank diameter: 1-1/4"
  • 10-Year limited warranty

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Yes

I used one with a triple axle trailer for my E-27, E-28+ and E-28. The 28+ was pulled from Maine to upstate NY. Having a weight distribution hitch will make the ride much less nerve wracking. Certainly helps the trailer track nicely too. Don't do it without it. The peace of mind is worth it. All of my boats sit at home over the winter. The haul from the lake to the house is only 15 miles. Steep and curvy when hauling to and from Willsboro. Through a part of the city when hauling to and from Plattsburgh. Reassuring having a steady, well behaved almost 10,000 lb. platform behind me and my 1500 van.

E25CANADA

I found a used Fastway E2 locally so I will probably go for it. It's not as good as the original Equal-i-zer but it's what's available locally for a good price.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
E 25 and the Chevy Station Wagon

Hi Respected Sailors
Towed 25 Ericson with weight distribution hitch in 79-80. Vehicle was a big 350 V8 Chevy Station Wagon. EZ loader trailer and Ericson Dealer both just about required that we get the weight distribution hitch. Made a big difference when I would drive around he launch parking lot the station wagon would squat badly without the weight distribution hitched up. I would say yes.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Sailboat Data

Sailboat Data has the E-25 coming in at 5100 lbs. Figure another 1200-1500 lbs. for a good trailer.

E25CANADA

I bought a 4-way Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch last night (used once to deliver a park home trailer) for $175. Seemed like a good deal and I needed a hitch anyhow. Thanks for the advice felllas.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I don't have an Equalizer and I pull my E-26 on a tandem axle trailer with a 3/4 ton pickup with out any trouble, including a trip from the great salt lake to the southern Oregon coast. But maybe I don't know how good it could be with the Eaqualizer, I'll admit I don't much like going over 55 with the boat in tow.

E25CANADA

Well, maybe yours is different but my factory hitch on my excursion (F250SD SUV) can only take 5,000lb GTW amd 500lb on the tongue without a weight distributing hitch. I don't want to be the one who overloads it and causes an accident... no insurance either at that point...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG-20150713-00394.jpg
    IMG-20150713-00394.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 344

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How much is enough?

If you do not mind a comment from up here in the 3rd balcony, I believe that your Excursion is ample for the task. More than adequate, matter of fact.

Back in 1980, I was towing (carefully...) a Ranger 20 with my Mazda 2 liter long bed "sundowner sport" model pickup. Gross trailer weight was about 2K. I did put on a well braced frame hitch, and had to keep my interval distances in traffic due to longer braking distances. (!)
I delivered several new sail boats with that vehicle in a two year period. It was a sturdy little truck and it must have had about 100K miles on it when I sold it. Like another person commented, I also kept my speed under 55.

Jumping forward in the Time Machine, my '98 B4000 Mazda truck was factory rated for a gross trailer weight of about 5800#, although not personally tested and our dealer advised me to have good electric trailer brakes if towing anything very heavy. :rolleyes:
I put 180K miles on that rig and the guy I sold it to is still driving it with no problems.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I only have about 400 lbs tongue weight. any more than that and id say you have a weight distribution problem. It should be even less of a problem with a tandem or triple axle trailer because the weight can be balanced on the pair of axles. The bulk of the weight should be on the trailer axles and just enough on the tongue to stabilize the truck and trailer.

E25CANADA

The Mazda story sounds very nostalgic and I'm glad that it worked out for you but not everyone has such fond memories of towing past the max GTWR. In fact I saw a trailer on its side just yesterday, cab crushed, two fire trucks, ambulance, police etc...

This is my first big tow and I don't want to "stub" it!

I also don't want to void my auto insurance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I only have about 400 lbs tongue weight. any more than that and id say you have a weight distribution problem. It should be even less of a problem with a tandem or triple axle trailer because the weight can be balanced on the pair of axles. The bulk of the weight should be on the trailer axles and just enough on the tongue to stabilize the truck and trailer.

This closely aligns with my experiences as well. My next truck after the Mazda was a well used short-wide Dodge with a 318 V8 (retired fish & game enforcement truck bought at the state used equipment auction), and this would handle my approx. 2K # of boat and trailer with aplomb.

Loren

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Load equalizing Hitches.

Load equalizing hitches are not recommended if you have surge brakes. They will interfere with the trailer brakes. In 30+ years of large boat (26'+) towing, I never have had problems towing with a dead weight hitch. I would never tow with a vehicle that is at it's towing limits. That is asking for big trouble load equalizer or not. All my towing vehicles have had a couple of thousand pounds of reserve capacity. This guarantees large enough brakes on the tow vehicle to handle the extra loads. The increased towing capacities on the newest 1/2 ton pickups don't guarantee bigger brakes. They only guarantee heftier springs. Pick your tow vehicle carefully with these large trailers.

Vagabond39

Member III
2000 Ford Exepedition

What is the condition of your vehicle?
Engin, Transmission, Diferential, rear axil, tires, brakes, steering, etc.?
According to edmonds the max towing weight of that year vehicle is 6200 pounds.
About the weight of an E-25 and trailer!
If you are considering the Saratoga lake E-25, that is through the Adirondeck Mountains. And that might be a problem.
As for the hitch, do you like having the ability to steer after hitting a bump?
Good Luck,
Bob

supersailor

Contributing Partner
E-25 towing

If the trailer has been used in salt water, the brakes will be bad. In fresh water, they might be good. In either case, I would have the trailer brakes checked before you leave with the boat. The boat will be 1,000 pounds heavier than the factory weight. I would empty the boat of everything I could and empty the tanks. Put the stuff in the back of the Excursion for more rear wheel traction. I would not make the trip unless I knew the trailer brakes were fully functional as the Expedition's brakes are marginal and would overheat if the trailers are not functioning properly. Also, take a good look and make sure the trailer is sound and not rusting through.

If the brakes are sound and the trailer looks ok, you can make the journey. I wouldn't exceed about 55 mph and leave lots of space behind the vehicle ahead as your stopping distance will be longer. Over heated brakes is the danger and they overheat a lot faster above 55. If you plan to tow a bunch, consider a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I use an E-350 diesel.

If you have surge brakes, don't be surprised at the thump when you apply the brakes and when you accelerate again. That's the toungue sliding in to engage the brakes and back out again.

Last edited:

Wysailer

Member II
Towing 25cb

I towed a 25cb from MN to WY with an equalizer hitch, dual axel trailer that had working surge brakes with a 1/2 ton Chevy Pickup.
The vehicle pulled it well but for a longer term use I bought a 1 ton Dodge with the 5.9L Cummins and it was a better match being the boat/trailer is around 7,500lbs.

Scott B.
WYSailor 25CB