Displacement vs. Ballast

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Can someone explain to me the relationship between displacement and ballast?

The original specs on my 30+ list a displacement of 9000 lbs. and ballast of 4000 lbs. When my boat was hauled out I noted the load indicators on each of the travel lift hoists; the front read approx. 5660 lbs and the rear read approx 5330 lbs for a total of 10,990 lbs.

RKCRWLR

Member II
Two different things

Displacement is the mass of the water that is displaced by the boat. Ballast is the lead or other weight placed in the boat for stability (lead keel). The weight of the boat is close to the displacement, but not exactly. As for advertised weights or displacement, you are nearly always going to be heavier on the scale as you have equipment, and like it or not, water, thats taken on. I learned about this that hard way the first time I crossed the scales and found that my boat was much heavier than the advertised displacement, which I had used for the wide load permit - :rolleyes:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The short answer would be that the measured amount of lead that went in when it was built was probably accurate.
The brochure would state, as accurately as reasonable, the total dry weight of everything else that gave a displacement weight for a finished boat. This would not reflect the in-use total displacement which adds water, fuel, personal effects, instruments, and maybe options like the spinnaker package stuff or larger winch upgrades.
Add a little water absorption in the bottom paint over the decades and all the beer and spare lines, anchors, chain and whatnot... and you quickly get to another thou or so.

Back at the factory (any factory), it is also common for a finished boat to slightly exceed the design weight. Enough so that Ericson bragged in a full page ad for their E-33RH that they had produced that model at the designer's calculated total displacement.

Those emergency cans of Dinty Moore beef stew really add up, don't they?
:rolleyes:

Note B: those well used load cells on the average Travelift may or not be close within a hundred # or so. At best.

Note C: during one of the lifts for our boat ("10,600 # displacement") I asked the operator about the indicated weight, and he said that based on a couple decades of experience with that rig, and after interpreting the dials, he would state that ours weighed in at about 11K or so.

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Still trying to get my head around this, as simple as it may seem.

A cubic foot of cast lead weighs 709 lbs. A cubic foot of sea water weighs 64 lbs. So even though the lead weighs more, its "displacement" is only 64 lbs.?

So I guess that means displacement has nothing to do with the total weight of the boat, only with the amount of water it displaces when floating.

I guess maybe the question should have been, "What is the relationship between boat weight and displacement?"

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
This is why I am not a scientist or mathematician..

...or a yacht designer....

Last edited:

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American

You've got to read this link if only for the parting statement below!:)

Oh I'll save you the trouble

"None of these should be confused with 'fiscal displacement' which is the amount of money displaced from your bank account once you become a boat owner. This is often plotted against 'Marital Righting Moment' (RMm) which attempts to predict the likelihood of you getting up off the floor, once your wife discovers the size of your boat's 'fiscal displacement'."

Sven

Seglare
A cubic foot of cast lead weighs 709 lbs. A cubic foot of sea water weighs 64 lbs. So even though the lead weighs more, its "displacement" is only 64 lbs.?

Right, it can only displace its own volume. If the displaced water weighs more than the "thing" the "thing" will float. If the displaced water weighs less than the "thing" the "thing" sinks. This is where the "Eureka !" story comes from, true or not.

The weight of the boat is close to the displacement, but not exactly.

I assume you mean the "designed displacement" because the actual displacement (volume of local water displaced translated into weight) will be identical to the weight of a static floating hull.

-Sven

RKCRWLR

Member II
Right, it can only displace its own volume. If the displaced water weighs more than the "thing" the "thing" will float. If the displaced water weighs less than the "thing" the "thing" sinks. This is where the "Eureka !" story comes from, true or not.

I assume you mean the "designed displacement" because the actual displacement (volume of local water displaced translated into weight) will be identical to the weight of a static floating hull.

-Sven

That is correct... In regards to the theme of the original question, which was essentially design displacement versus the actual weight of the vessel on the lift...