dirty fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Spencer,
Yeah - bad time here also, we hauled out Wednesday.
icon9.gif
At least we had warm weather to wash the bottom.
:egrin:

EGregerson

Member III
dirty diesel

just a pm (post mortem) for this thread: i have a smokey transom; would like to do something about it; we have cetane 40 at the marina; maybe a Stanadyne treatment would help this 20 year old Universal 25xl. I'll give it a try; if it keeps the guck off my new alwgrip, maybe that's enuff; increased fuel economy, that's even better. Incidently; one guy at the marina drained his tank 2 years ago and stored the diesel in large jars; no additives but filled to the brim; last week it was clear red, no guck; no asphaltene. A professional fuel polisher said as long as you keep the fuel tank 95% topped off, tha'ts good. :rolleyes:

hodo

Member III
It is especially important when there is moisture in the air, to keep your tanks near full. Remember, the bypassed fuel returning to your tank is warmed by the engine, and will cause condensation on the inside of the tank when the tank is cooler than the fuel. This is probably more important to those who use their boats year around .
Harold

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
With a non-turbo'd engine, correct propping is very important to minimize smoke. Too heavy of a wheel will cause overfueling during acceleration causing unwanted smoke. It is always better to underprop than to have too large of a wheel. Turbo'd engines usually will have the injection system set up so acceleration is initially slowed until the boost is building, resulting in less acceleration smoke. Most good running diesels will run very clean during steady state running. Over-propping will shift the prop load curve to the left causing the engine to work harder than necessary and not being able to reach the droop portion of the rpm curve. A displacement hull, as everyone knows, will only go so fast no matter how much power is applied. Displacement hulls run on a cubic prop load curve and are easily driven up to approx hull speed. After that point one is only wasting fuel.
:egrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.