Defender drops Garmin

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Have a GPSmap 76 that I keep as backup. First Garmin decided to not support it with updates in the future. Then I found that one of the zoom buttons had popped off. I called Garmin and asked about repair. $96.00 for a BUTTON! I know the case/architecture is still in production. A keypad is pennys to them, a tech could change it out in less than 3 minutes. Somehow this is worth $96.00??? Sorry, two strikes is enough, Garmin can bite me. I should also add that this unit was incredibly lightly used. Check the batteries once in a while and as an occasional anchor alarm, no way it should be that fragile.

RT

CaptDan

Member III
Garmin can bite me.

I've owned three Garmin GPSs and haven't had a problem with any of 'em. Two I still own and use - an eTrex Legend and 276C. Other than a brief operational Q&A with customer service, I have no experience with their support, though I'm aware of many complaints.

It seems some hi-tech companies tend to overcharge to repair discontinued models, and Garmin is no exception it seems. Anyway I guess I'm in the minority here, but these are my 2 cents and worth no more.:)

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

hodo

Member III
Garmin Tech Service

I just wanted to pass on my experieence with Garmin. Last summer I installed the Garmin GMI 10 system on Mischief Maker. After the last spate of high winds, 40-60 knt gusts,I developed a hum in the anemometer that transmits down the mast. I determined it was the anemometer, went to W.M., where I purchased it, they called Garmin tech, and let me exlain. Took about ten minutes for them to decide to send me out a new replacement, and they said to keep the old one for parts, if ever needed.
Not what I expected after hearing some stories from different folks. :egrin: Garmin gets no complaints from me. Also, the system is great!

Harold and Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker