Deciding between Ericson 32-3 vs C&C Landfall 35

SoloWriter

Member I
If you're calculating a $48K cost for post-purchase repairs, etc, you should definitely not be buying a 25-30K boat. Instead, you should be buying a boat for about $75K (~$48K + ~25K) that passes survey in all meaningful respects.
I meant $48k all in, after $30k purchase, and $18k in deferred maintenance and upgrades. Agree, though, if I had $75K to spend, I'd be looking at a different era of boats!

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Got it!
I've spent about half of my original purchase price ($32K) since 2014, but most of those expenses were either to add new stuff the boat wasn't built with, or do routine maintenance (incl. two bottom jobs). But, except for the first bottom job and making new standing rigging, I've done all the work myself. I probably would have spent close to the entire original purchase price by now if a yard had done the work.

Marinarius

Member I
Did the broker provide a report of all Ericson 32 boats sold in the past 3-5 years?

If not, it shouldn't be too hard to dig up a report.

Last edited:

SoloWriter

Member I
Did the broker provide a report of all Ericson 32 boats sold in the past 3-5 years?

If not, it shouldn't be too hard to sig up a report.
Yes, they provided a report going back to 2018, PDF attached.

But again, I'm not sure what parameters they put in. Where would you suggest looking for actual sold comps?

The only ones I've seen are from BUC, but I believe you need to be a member/broker to get them, or at least have a subscription account. And the ones on YachtBuddha, but those of course are all asking prices.

Attachments

• Ericson32sSold (1).pdf
    550.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Marinarius

Member I
That may be it, but the format is not familiar.

Usually the broker can access a list from soldboats.com which is the broker portal to Yachtworld.

Some Surveyors have access, to enable them to estimate values. Might be worth a text to your surveyor to find out.

Ideally the list could include the similar models 32-200 and 333 Regatta (one recently sold for $33k.)

SoloWriter

Member I
That may be it, but the format is not familiar.

Usually the broker can access a list from soldboats.com which is the broker portal to Yachtworld.

Some Surveyors have access, to enable them to estimate values. Might be worth a text to your surveyor to find out.

Ideally the list could include the similar models 32-200 and 333 Regatta (one recently sold for $33k.)
Yes, they've included 32-200s on there as well. The average price of the 12 sold comps on the list is $29,600 going back to 2018.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Solo,

Is it this boat? If it isn't, how do they compare?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My 32-3 was in more or less that condition, perhaps worse. I put at least 20K in, not counting offshore gear or standard expenses such as bottom paint, doing almost all of the labor myself. (By choice, so I knew how it was done).

You might page through my blog, which gives a pretty candid view of the usual jobs. Start from the last entry and work backwards.

SoloWriter

Member I
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has commented on our situation here.

Vince, Christian and Loren get special kudos for insight into their own experiences with similar condition vessels. I am very grateful for finding this forum, and the very special Ericson owners community!

Not sure this particular boat is the right one for us, but it has helped immensely to consider what would need to go into it, beyond the purchase price. Thank you! Joe

windblown

Member III
My 32-3 was in more or less that condition, perhaps worse. I put at least 20K in, not counting offshore gear or standard expenses such as bottom paint, doing almost all of the labor myself. (By choice, so I knew how it was done).

You might page through my blog, which gives a pretty candid view of the usual jobs. Start from the last entry and work backwards.

We bought our 1985 32-3 for $32K in 2016. Nothing significant showed up in the survey, and boat looked great. As the years go by, we find ourselves working through the list of things that need to be addressed on a 30--now 35--year old boat. Christian's blog serves as our strategic plan for 32-3 preventative maintenance and, when needed, this forum guides us through diagnosis and repair. We are learning to do it ourselves, because boat mechanics and maintenance people are few and far between in our area. Besides, the more we learn about our Ericson, the more we understand its real value. It is more than worth every penny and hour we put into it, and it really has not depreciated in five years. None of our friends with newer, more expensive boats can say that.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I considered buying Antares late this past winter. I think $30k is a fair (Northern CA) price - it is in cosmetically good shape, but much work remains.

SoloWriter

Member I
Thanks, Goldenstate. Interesting. I loved the boat. I just couldn't justify the costs that would be needed, including pulling the rig, after the $30k.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I clicked on the YW link, and it is still listed. Asking price is $34500.
Everyone sez the used boat market is hot; perhaps it's not a hot as it was?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Peaman,

Thanks for sharing, one thing I like about the Ericson is how consistent the repairs and jobs seem to be across different boats -- and the responsiveness and details on this forum.

My main worry with the binnacle is the SS bolts being corroded and welding together to the aluminum binnacle. A mechanic I talked to said drilling out the bolts would add a 1/2 day of labor minimum. Did you have any of those issues?

As far as the work below, I'm 6'1" and 220#, so I'll either need to bribe my buddy who's your size with some home brews to get down in there for me, pay up for a pro to do it, or go on a crash keto diet.
Go on the KETO LIFESTYLE... you'll be glad you did .

jtsai

Member III
A boat broker at the Chesapeake Bay told me the average sailboats stayed in the market between 12 to 36 months before Covid. During Covid, average is between 12 to 24 months. So "hot" is a relative term.

I think there will be a flood of used sailboats return to the market post-Covid. Sailboat ownership is not for everyone.

Back to comparing Ericson 32-3 with C&C 35 Landfall. One of the club members passed and the Landfall went on the market. I walked over and drooled over Landfall's hefty anchor roller and her electrical windlass and wondered why Ericson did not have better anchor setup. Was it because it was a west coast designed boats and you guys don't anchor often?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Everyone sez the used boat market is hot; perhaps it's not a hot as it was?
When we found our Ericson 30+ in 2016 there were ~113 Ericsons listed on YW. Today there are 42. I think it was in the mid 30's before Christmas. Not sure if one brand can represent an entire industry, but seems to me that quality boats are indeed in short supply.