Dead tach and water temp

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Out sailing and motoring today (because the wind just went away) and everything was working fine. Got back to the dock and was ready to shut down the engine when I noticed that both the tach and water temp gages were dead even though they were working just before we docked. Everything else was working (voltage gage, oil light, etc.) and the engine ran just fine. In fact better then it did a few days ago before I had the fuel filtered and tank scrubbed by a company that does that sort of thing. (Had algae in the tank.)

I check around the wiring behind the panel and a in-line fuse I found but nothing seemed to work. Had to leave for the day and I'll probably have the marina fix the problem because I just don't have the time and we're having guest down next weekend.

But I thought I'd still like to throw this problem out to all you arm chair mechanics, amateur mechanics and pros to see what you think it might be. I figure it might be a wiring problem with power not getting to the tach and water temp since it's unlikely that both the sending unit for the water temp and the alternator breaking at the same time is a long shot.