Cruiser's workbench ?

Glyn Judson

The most useful tool for small jobs on the boat.

Sven and all, I have a small vacuum Panavise on the boat that has been the perfect third hand for many jobs over the years. Granted, it's no workbench but it is useful as can be. Here a link to what I have, it's the model 381: http://www.panavise.com/f/vises/vises_combo.html And here's one currently being offered on eBay 310085142513. Later, Glyn

Guy Stevens

In the cockpit

We made one out of a left over piece of A grade plywood. It fit in the center of the cockpit over the cockpit. When not using it we stowed it flat up against the fore and aft bulkhead under the cockpit on the starboard side. So when not in use the thing took up maybe 3/4 of an inch of space that really made no difference. This however limits the length and width of the plywood.

Really light jobs such as a simple soldering generally get the suction vise.. It works really well on the formica of most yacht tables.

I also have, on a number of boats, drilled four holes in a chest level stair on companionway ladder and mounted a vise on that... Now to keep from screwing up the stair while working there is one of those flexible cutting boards that goes between the vise feet and the stair; which also has the same holes cut in it. This is not shown in the photo for clarity reasons. For little jobs such as screwing small parts together, drilling a few small holes, basically 99% of the projects on the boat the little vise on the stair works great, for bigger jobs the piece of plywood in the cockpit, with the same 4 holes in it works well. Bigger than that and you should take it to shore if you can.

Now holding the plywood down in the cockpit was the task of the assistant. The assistant varied by the job at hand. If it was a job that required some heavy wrench work then you need to pick a heavier assistant. If it was a light job that was messy, then you could pick a svelte, good looking assistant to provide scenery for the job.

No one ever notices the 4 little holes in the stair till I point them out... So I don't think it detracts much if at all from the fit and finish.

Guy
:)

Attachments

• suction vise.jpg
    suction vise.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 38
  • vise cal .jpg
    vise cal .jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 48
  • vise slide.jpg
    vise slide.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 44
  • bottom of stair.jpg
    bottom of stair.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Glyn and Guy,

Great answers as usual !

The vacuum vise would work great on the "nav table". The vise on the stair could be a great solution, especially if using a cafeteria tray to protect the step and also give a small area to put parts and lay down tools.

-Sven