Creaky fiberglass sole repair

LeifThor

Member III
1972 E 35-2 with-
Fiberglass sole (white)
Engine location under dinette seat
Fiberglass inner hull ceiling style

issue: the sole creaks from end of couch (to aft end of sole behind entry stairs.

original design had 2 1.5 thick ply pieces spanning cabin laterally (1 at end of couch, and 1 at 3/4 up from end of couch). These pieces had atop 3 1/2x1 strips spaced evenly running bow to stern terminating at each piece running laterally.

when boat was purchased in Jan 2019, all lumber below was rotten, delaminated and useless. Removed it all. Given the tiny fiberglass tabs (that had also delaminated) it was decided the ply was only for supporting the sole, not for stringers. Turns out the sole/and furniture provide the lateral stringers.

oddly, the area of most foot traffic has the least support under the sole, including the sole itself. Under the dinette and couch the sole is 3/4 ply/fiberglass laminate, where under the high traffic area it’s 1/8 fiberglass only. I consider this the worst design flaw of the entire boat, like what were they thinking...

so without removing the sole, has anyone had this issue, and solved it permanently?

please only respond if you’ve experienced this issue and solved the problem. Thanks!

kapnkd

kapnkd
1972 E 35-2 with-
Fiberglass sole (white)
Engine location under dinette seat
Fiberglass inner hull ceiling style

issue: the sole creaks from end of couch (to aft end of sole behind entry stairs.

original design had 2 1.5 thick ply pieces spanning cabin laterally (1 at end of couch, and 1 at 3/4 up from end of couch). These pieces had atop 3 1/2x1 strips spaced evenly running bow to stern terminating at each piece running laterally.

when boat was purchased in Jan 2019, all lumber below was rotten, delaminated and useless. Removed it all. Given the tiny fiberglass tabs (that had also delaminated) it was decided the ply was only for supporting the sole, not for stringers. Turns out the sole/and furniture provide the lateral stringers.

oddly, the area of most foot traffic has the least support under the sole, including the sole itself. Under the dinette and couch the sole is 3/4 ply/fiberglass laminate, where under the high traffic area it’s 1/8 fiberglass only. I consider this the worst design flaw of the entire boat, like what were they thinking...

so without removing the sole, has anyone had this issue, and solved it permanently?

please only respond if you’ve experienced this issue and solved the problem. Thanks!

Been there....
...Had the same issues with our ‘73 E32-2 from the very beginning. Primarily with the dinette table base being wobbly and some creaking around the galley/companionway area.

Although we did remove some sole areas for other issues, we basically crafted templates to create vertical barrier dams to limit the foam expansion when poured into holes. We then glassed the pieces back in place later.
5767D3E1-6BA9-4A39-83A4-71CECB4D186C.jpeg

Our sole area is now solid and with a stable table. To resolve the issues of a disfigured cabin sole, we’ve covered it with PlasTeak flooring. (We also did retain the use of some carpeting in the main salon, which is what was originally provided by Ericson back in the day.)
29D87E08-2E78-4AC5-B3EB-92F7F2D570A6.jpeg2CA90132-885D-409F-85EF-B8628FC74B1C.jpeg71E05F9F-AC46-4021-8ED4-9637BFB098E4.jpeg

...Possibly, if you’re willing, you could simply drill smaller but strategic holes to pour foam into with less noticeable cosmetic damage to your sole.

Your most difficult part would be in creating the templates needed to help contain the foam’s expansion. (A few new “sailing vocabulary words” were invented when I created our templates.)

Hope this can be of some help in determining what you wish to do.

LeifThor

Member III
Been there....
...Had the same issues with our ‘73 E32-2 from the very beginning. Primarily with the dinette table base being wobbly and some creaking around the galley/companionway area.

Although we did remove some sole areas for other issues, we basically crafted templates to create vertical barrier dams to limit the foam expansion when poured into holes. We then glassed the pieces back in place later.
View attachment 38401

Our sole area is now solid and with a stable table. To resolve the issues of a disfigured cabin sole, we’ve covered it with PlasTeak flooring. (We also did retain the use of some carpeting in the main salon, which is what was originally provided by Ericson back in the day.)
View attachment 38402View attachment 38403View attachment 38404

...Possibly, if you’re willing, you could simply drill smaller but strategic holes to pour foam into with less noticeable cosmetic damage to your sole.

Your most difficult part would be in creating the templates needed to help contain the foam’s expansion. (A few new “sailing vocabulary words” were invented when I created our templates.)

Hope this can be of some help in determining what you wish to do.
Wow your floors look amazing! What kind of foam did you use, and what material did you use for the template where the foam would stop? Very inspiring! Sorry for the long delay in responding.

I'm hoping to leave the floors as is as this Ericson will always look a bit like a Captain Ron boat (shleppy). We live in ours, as have all the owners I think through the boat's life, and well it shows. I've replaced and fixed the important stuff like bulkheads for the upper shrouds, mast compression plate, gas tank and exhaust system along with everything but the Atomic 4 block...the list is extensive. But, the good news is she sails like a dream and with blue water hatches hopefully some day she'll take us across an ocean. If I could get rid of the creaky floors it would improve the boat a 1,000%.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Wow your floors look amazing! What kind of foam did you use, and what material did you use for the template where the foam would stop? Very inspiring! Sorry for the long delay in responding.

I'm hoping to leave the floors as is as this Ericson will always look a bit like a Captain Ron boat (shleppy). We live in ours, as have all the owners I think through the boat's life, and well it shows. I've replaced and fixed the important stuff like bulkheads for the upper shrouds, mast compression plate, gas tank and exhaust system along with everything but the Atomic 4 block...the list is extensive. But, the good news is she sails like a dream and with blue water hatches hopefully some day she'll take us across an ocean. If I could get rid of the creaky floors it would improve the boat a 1,000%.
Thanks! ...It's not a foam but is a hard vinyl product from PlasDeck, a company located close to Cleveland, Ohio. (Great and knowledgeable people to work with.) It's sold on a roll and you order the length you need. One simply makes patterns and then traces them out on the product to be cut out. It does need to be glued down and rolled with a pressure roller to get all the air bubbles out (not difficult at all).

It's been on the boat for several years now and holding up very well!