Correct Lube for Seacocks

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
As the proud new owner of a 1989 E 38-200 I am engaged in numerous "projects" one is to lubricate the seacocks. All of which are the plastic type. Forespar variety. On the forspar website they recommend using "Waterproof grease, waterpump or winch grease" Is it okay to use teflon winch grease? I dont want something reacting with the plastic/marelon or what ever and causing the ball to swell and seize. Any thoughts?

Thanks Again,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I use a bit of standard green water-proof grease on the outside of the ball each time we are hauled out for a bottom job, every other year. Then work the handle open a closed a few times. Seems to make it work a little bit better.

Loren

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sounds good. I have some Sea-Lube Teflon winch grease and I was wondering if there was any problem using the teflon? I guess not, just wanted to check. Doing a bit of work on the engine first. I've been wrestling with the shaft coupling and soaking it in penetrant. Got it to move a little last night, but need to get some longer bolts to use as a puller with a socket in the middle. I am replacing the cutlass and stuffing box. Removed the exhaust elbow as well as the gasket between it and the engine was leaking a little coolant. Am a little concerned about the manifold as it looks like coolant was maybe coming from a part it should not have been. I will have to look closer when I have more time. I ordered a shop manual for the engine. I hope I dont have to replace the manifold as it looks like an $800 part...Going to be replacing a lot of hoses and wiring on the engine as some look worn. Will take a look at the zinc in the heat exchanger and see if that has been replaced. Boat needs a lot of little things along the way and its so tough to prioritze.

jmoses

Member III
Sea cock grease

Ted,

Blakes Seacocks (UK) makes a good lube. It can be ordered from Defender Industries. It's Blakes part #SCX6007 and about a pint jug. It's also good for lubing hoses prior to installing (for easier removal later on or those hose barbs that are a hair to big) as it won't eat rubber components.

Oh, just noticed they are plastic sea cocks.......Hmmmmmm....I'd go with what forespar suggests and keep an eye out for warped or difficult operating ones below the H20 line. - remove and replace when found as I've seen a few that actually leak when closed and are difficult to operate, making a handle break possible.

Anyway, Blake has some neat 45 degree sea cocks that make tight fits (like in the E-35 MKII head) a snap.

http://www.blakes-lavac-taylors.co.uk/blakes_seacocks.htm

Cheers

John M.