cooling system question

drdave

Hi......I had a slow water flow from the exhaust on Sunday so checked all the usual suspects and now it works fine......but may have just picked up some seaweed.

That being said this boat is new to me E30-1 with Yanmar 2GM20F from 1992. The Kingston cock I am not familiar with this design.........see attached photo. Can someone explain to me the purpose/maintenance of the extra arm on the sea cock.....is it some sort of cleanout??

Thanks so much

David Brooks
s/v Chiquita

Attachments

• smaller 015.jpg
    smaller 015.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 330

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I tried cropping and adding more light. Still, all I can guess is that this particular seacock incorporates a strainer on it with a top that removes for cleanout.
Never seen one like it before, though...

Have you closed the valve and then opened this thingie up?

"All will be revealed".... as they used to say...
:rolleyes:

Loren

ps: is that a grease cup on the side of the valve?

Attachments

• smaller 015.jpg
    smaller 015.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 159

Emerald

Hmmm,

it is interesting. You may want to post over to this Yanmar site:

http://www.yanmarhelp.com/

If nothing else, it's a good site to know about if you have a Yanmar. I think you'll find you have a fine little engine. Emerald came with a 2QM15, that was great, but underpowered for her. I have just replaced it with a 3GM30F, and it is a sweet little engine. I think you'll find the 2GM20F gives you very good reliable performance.

Last edited:

drdave

thanks

Yes it is a grease cup......the previous owner was pretty thorough at maintenance and greased all the seacocks annually etc.

Appreciate everyone's replies......I was a bit anxious to take it apart since all was working well again but I think I will next time I'm down. Now that I've thought more about it ...... I did have a garden irrigation filter that was similar in design......I suspect that you are right and it will be full of gunk..........will let you know

dave