Converting helm back into a tiller

Gablenl

Member I
Ericson 27 1975 with retrofitted helm. Would converting the helm to a tiller as it was originally intended affect performance for the better or worse?

Reasons I’d like to install the original tiller:
Easier to single hand, Less space taken up in the cockpit, less components to repair, cheap autopilot, and more appealing on a smaller boat.

Currently the helm works fine, I replaced the chain and cable steering a couple years ago, I need to replace shifter cables as well as throttle, probably some break pads too.

Any advice on converting helm to tiller would be much appreciated

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think the main reason for wheel steering is to free the cockpit of a tiller and therefore to make more space. But wheel steering needs a big-diameter wheel, for which cockpits have to be initially designed. A too-small wheel is just plain awful.

So if reverting to a tiller would improve the cockpit environment, well, sure. A tiller gives more feel and control than any typical cruising-boat wheel system. Since most bigger cruising boats have no feel anyhow, the loss is minor. But a 27-footer probably would be more fun to sail.

Do you hate the current wheel? This is a case where emotion is useful. If I hated it my decision would already be made.

But I would have to judge how much the tiller would be "in the way."

E27 rudder.JPG

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Ericson 27 1975 with retrofitted helm. Would converting the helm to a tiller as it was originally intended affect performance for the better or worse?

Reasons I’d like to install the original tiller:
Easier to single hand, Less space taken up in the cockpit, less components to repair, cheap autopilot, and more appealing on a smaller boat.

Currently the helm works fine, I replaced the chain and cable steering a couple years ago, I need to replace shifter cables as well as throttle, probably some break pads too.

Any advice on converting helm to tiller would be much appreciated
My boat is an E33 that I believe was converted at some point to a tiller. I really love the tiller, but a big downside is using a tiller pilot rather than a wheel pilot or below deck autopilot with a clutch/disengage. If you don’t care about that, then I think a tiller is great, especially when you tilt it Up and have the entire cockpit open. I’ve looked at putting a below-deck AP system on my boat, but it will cost 5+K to do, so it is pretty low down on the list of upgrades.

Gablenl

Member I
I think the main reason for wheel steering is to free the cockpit of a tiller and therefore to make more space. But wheel steering needs a big-diameter wheel, for which cockpits have to be initially designed. A too-small wheel is just plain awful.

So if reverting to a tiller would improve the cockpit environment, well, sure. A tiller gives more feel and control than any typical cruising-boat wheel system. Since most bigger cruising boats have no feel anyhow, the loss is minor. But a 27-footer probably would be more fun to sail.

Do you hate the current wheel? This is a case where emotion is useful. If I hated it my decision would already be made.

But I would have to judge how much the tiller would be "in the way."

View attachment 48388
Thanks for the advice.
I don’t HATE it but not thrilled with it.
I think I’ll go for it. Only hold up is re configuring the throttle/ and shifter controls to the side of cockpit. They are currently in the helm. I don’t see that being too big of a job.

Gablenl

Member I
My boat is an E33 that I believe was converted at some point to a tiller. I really love the tiller, but a big downside is using a tiller pilot rather than a wheel pilot or below deck autopilot with a clutch/disengage. If you don’t care about that, then I think a tiller is great, especially when you tilt it Up and have the entire cockpit open. I’ve looked at putting a below-deck AP system on my boat, but it will cost 5+K to do, so it is pretty low down on the list of upgrades.
One reason for going back to the original tiller would be to have the option for a tiller pilot 1/3 of the cost of an auto helm. Do you find the tiller pilots to be unreliable? Maybe a 33 ft vs a 27 ft might make a difference in tiler pilot handling?
Also played around with sheet to tiller and that’s always a fun activity on semi long cruises.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
All good thoughts, and remembering back to a friend with a tiller-steered E-27, he could more easily stay dry on a rainy day or if there was spray because he could drive from forward in the cockpit and get some shelter from the dodger.
We had a tiller on our prior 26 footer (not an Ericson) and really liked the simple and effective AP that attached to it. And, at the end of the day, we could tilt the tiller up and open up the cockpit area for happy hour!
Good luck with your decision. :)

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I truly prefer a tiller. You get a better feel of the boat being directly connected to the rudder. You can have both hands free to trim and sail. It has fewer parts and fewer things to go wrong. It gives you more room on a 27. I have found that a good tiller pilot works well enough to hoist and drop a spinnaker in 5-12 knots of wind. An important thing that helps me when backing up, is that the tiller points to where you want the bow to be. But sounds to me that you have already discovered all these things and just need some conformation to convince yourself.

Slick470

Member III
I think the major downside to a tiller pilot is that It's not permanently connected. You have to go through the extra effort to pulling it out and connecting it, then when it's not in use, it can be in the way. A below deck AP or wheel pilot is always there ready. Otherwise, a tiller pilot can be a great addition. I have one and use it often on our 30 footer.

I'm also a tiller fan. Although, my wife has never really gotten the hang of steering with it, so sometimes I wonder if we should have gotten a wheel boat, just to make things easier for her.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
One reason for going back to the original tiller would be to have the option for a tiller pilot 1/3 of the cost of an auto helm. Do you find the tiller pilots to be unreliable? Maybe a 33 ft vs a 27 ft might make a difference in tiler pilot handling?
Also played around with sheet to tiller and that’s always a fun activity on semi long cruises.
Take a serious look at the Pelagic. This has been discussed in other threads on this forum. I have one on my E26-2 and it does a great job.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I think the major downside to a tiller pilot is that It's not permanently connected. You have to go through the extra effort to pulling it out and connecting it, then when it's not in use, it can be in the way. A below deck AP or wheel pilot is always there ready. Otherwise, a tiller pilot can be a great addition. I have one and use it often on our 30 footer.

I'm also a tiller fan. Although, my wife has never really gotten the hang of steering with it, so sometimes I wonder if we should have gotten a wheel boat, just to make things easier for her.

Andy, Here's what I tell people when they ask me how to steer with the tiller. "Move the tiller, if the boat does not go the way you want, move it the other way". Works all the time! Also, It's really fun to tell people "Left, No! - the other left!" with a big laugh too.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
If I had your boat I'd definitely convert it to a tiller. Do you already have the cast piece for the top of the rudder post? If all you need is the wooden tiller you might check out Rudder Craft, if you are not inclined to roll your own.

I single hand a great deal and having a tiller puts me up at the companionway, in easy reach of the mainsheet, traveler, and other controls. Plus, steering a small boat like ours is so much more fun with a tiller. And, as you've already noted, you can buy a less expensive and far superior, robust autopilot like a Pelagic that will actually steer your boat in > 15 knots.

I think you'll be very happy with the conversion. I know I would be.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Another vote for the tiller, here!

Someone just posted on the Ericson Owners FB group that they are parting out their 1974 E27. Might be a way to pickup parts you need to make the conversion, depending on their setup.

Gablenl

Member I
Thanks everyone for the input and encouragement. As Kiba said I think I already knew what I wanted but needed some Ericson owners to say doooo ittttt.

Gablenl

Member I
Another vote for the tiller, here!

Someone just posted on the Ericson Owners FB group that they are parting out their 1974 E27. Might be a way to pickup parts you need to make the conversion, depending on their setup.
Oh cool, I don’t have FB unfortunately. Maybe I’ll ask a friend to message them. I am always looking for original parts.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I think Slick470 hit the nail on the head. I came from a boat with a wheel and a below deck autopilot and got a bit spoiled. The control panel is right there at wheel and it’s really easy to disengage. There are some good tiller pilots out on the market like the pelagic, which has a control panel and optional remote. It is still not as good as a below deck system but it is also a < 1K solution rather than a $5K solution. I think you have 4 options with your 27’ boat:

1) inexpensive tiller pilot
2) better tiller pilot like pelagic with remote control panel
3) wheel pilot (if you keep the wheel)
4) below deck AP - I think this may be too cost prohibitive for a 27’ boat and maybe difficult to install (depending on how much room you have below).

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We used the former Tillermaster on several multihull Bermuda races, and as I recall it just popped on and off easily. We kept it below when not in use, although I don't remember the wire connection.

Skip Allan and I talked about self-steering with these simple gizmos, which do better in variable light air than wind vanes do. In the earlier solo Transpacs they were standard, and skippers tended to carry several replacements. It was to improve such cheap gear that Brian Boschma developed the Pelagic.

For a tiller boat, the current iterations sound fine. What is insufficiently emphasized is that sail trim is the key to success with any self steering. The rig must be set up with minimal weather helm, which often means reducing sail, or at least balancing the forces so grandma could steer with two fingers.

Slick470

Member III
For quick and easy with a tiller, I use a Tillerclutch. https://wavefrontmarine.com/. As long as things are pretty well balanced, it will hold the helm long enough to let you move around a bit. A few years later I added in a Raymarine Evo AP that is fully integrated with my other instruments. It took a bit of tweaking to get it set up the way I like it but it's been fine since. "Pro" tip: If you get one of these, make notes on your settings so you can reproduce them after applying updates. The updates will wipe out any user defined settings.