Coffee Coffee Coffee

Matey

Member III
Swedish ?

The Swedish people are the coffee drinkers of the world. I have friends that are Swedish, if a drop of rain falls, they have coffee, if a bird flies by and they see it, they have coffee, if nothing happens - they have coffee. In between all of this - they have coffee.

Best Always:egrin:
Frank

and I thought I was German and Norwegian all these years .. now your saying I'm Swedish :0305_coff i'm confused. i need some coffee

fredn56

Member II
Try an aeropress

I agree completely about the biological necessity of good coffee to sustain life.
Have you seen the Aeropress? Works like a french press, but into a cup, so you make a cup at a time and there is no leftover to get cold.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Fred Nelson
Ericson 23 Mark II
Ad Astra:egrin:

Guy Stevens

French press all good and welll

The french press thing is all good and well, but how to do steam your milk for espressos and cappuccino and mochas?

Also I find that the french press seems to end up being bitter coffee if you don't drink all of it imminently.

Now the thing to talk about next is how many people roast their own beans aboard! That makes an amazing cup of coffee.....

I might post a photo of that here....

Guy
:)

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
All these posts on coffee... I feel I would be a terrible host as I don't even have instant aboard. never acquired the taste, but love the aroma. don't know if I am somehow missing out on one of the finer things in life or if ignorance is bliss here considering it seems to be so hard to get a decent cup Joe.:0

EGregerson

Member III
just give me the usual

It appears that what u really want is just what u have at home in the morning. Which indicates to me the real problem is...electrical power. I use a :0 mr coffee like thing; but it's AC and i run it off a little honda 1000 generator; now i admit that's kind of expensive for a cup of coffee; but it's good also for english muffins in the toaster, waffle iron, charging batteries with the charger... did I say air conditioning? And i grind (electrically) Seattles Best whole bean. :nerd:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Egregson,

Where do you keep your generator? Is it stored in a sealed container?

Sorry to get off topic on this thread... I am drinking coffee right now :).

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I remember once on the boat we skipped the morning coffee, but I don't remember anything after that until the next morning - after we drank our next cup of coffee. It's a lost day that we will never recover ...

Vincent

Member II
coffee

I to use an aeropress and it makes great coffee . Simple to use ez to clean up , takes up very little space. All positive point for a small boat.

EGregerson

Member III
half caff

Mark; I attached a pic; I just strap it under the nav station; installed 3 eye bolts to secure it. It rides there quite well. Don't have a case; the sales rep suggested that, for marine use, i coat the internal steel baffles to prevent rust. I haven't done that yet; but after 2 years, there is no corrosion.

This thing also works great for the 1 hp shop vac; and battery charger (as necessary).

This is great about the swedish coffee hounds; my ex is half swedish and drinks half caf.

Fair winds, Eric

Attachments

• Honda Gen.jpg
    Honda Gen.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 237

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the photo. I also have a Honda 2000i and bring it with me when I travel far enough that I have concerns about running out of electricity for my electric inboard auxiliary. Hasn't happened yet but better safe right? My concern is gas vapors below decks. I wrapped mine in three contractor garbage bags when I had it on board. I found this post on an RV web forum - airforums.com - and got one for myself.

******post from www.airforums.com *********
For my Honda EU2000i storage I bought:

One Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gallon bin (the silver one pictured with flat lid) AND one 32 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Trashcan (comes with raised lid). Both from Auburn CA True Value Hardware.

presto, chango:

I now have an 18 gallon bin with raised lid. Generator fits snug, smaller unit to stow than the actionpacker (which is $24.99 at Roseville CA Walmart yesterday).

And a new 32gal trash can for home, now with flat lid.

Lid snaps on snug (but not gasket sealed). 2500 miles with gen bin in back of packed SUV, haven't smelled it yet.

eknebel

Member III
I use a insulated SS french press, which makes good coffee, and doubles as a insulated frozen drink container. If there isn't enough crew drinking, it is great for keeping the leftovers from the blender ready for the next round!

Mark F,
I love your electric propulsion, makes me wish(almost :) that my diesel would die, so I could evaluate the option. While you stored your gas generator without vapor smell, you may want to seriously consider sealing off a lazarette, like a lpg container. The stern on the E30+ fits a E2000i, and I ventilating it with two cowlings. Though the E2000 is light, with a bilge blower on one of the cowling vents, you could run it without having to move it, not to mention significantly reducing the explosion hazard.

Last edited:

nevadaman

Take some advice from a Burning Man veteran

The last post, with its picture of a single cup coffee drip system, is a step in the right direction. If you scour the thrift shops, you may be able to find an old drip funnel for larger systems. I think Melitta was the name of the company that made these funnels for their systems. At Burning Man, we would load a filter into one of the funnels, dose it with the appropriate amount of GOOD quality coffee (Costco has some great choices to look at) and put in the appropriate amount of hot water. The coffee was spectacular, and while the blowing alkali dust may have had something to do with that, I absolutely swear by this system when camping, and it should work equally well in a marina or on the Bounding Main.

VINEYARDVIKING

Boat coffee options

All this info, now ive got to go brew a pot.(BTW im only 1/4 swedish) E27 Skipper is Norwegian.
Current practice.
DEPARTURE DAY fresh+Thermos from home.
regular ground bean put in fresh.
DAy 2 in morning Stainless Percolater with coarse ground bean (ground just before trip), no grinder on board but sure I could do a servicable batch in 12v cocktail blender .
fill thermos for night watch etc stays hot lon if thermos is filled , even better if thermos preheated witha bit of boiling water.
day 3 foreward repeat.

flubs and failures also rans and occaisionals.

A. bought a small 12volt drip machine from harbor freigh a few yeas ago, sounded like a good idea, took so long and made so little and used so much battery i eventually took it out of the galley.
may give it a try on daysailer but dont recomend.
B Tried instant T-bag type, too weak. too expensive , takes too long, tastes like weak cheap coffee
c. Tried instant, 3brands, does in a pinch ,"best" was Coffee out of M.R.E.s I think
D. Go to yacht Club , plain ole industrial folger. upside , its often free.
E. have coffee with friend on bigger boat running genset.
F. call someone ashore and have them bring you a cup if you are in port.
G. take Caffiene tablet like no doze , only if you are out of coffee, prevents withdrawl headache .
H. french press(ok if you drink right away hot but dont clean in saltwater.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the photo. I also have a Honda 2000i and bring it with me when I travel far enough that I have concerns about running out of electricity for my electric inboard auxiliary. Hasn't happened yet but better safe right? My concern is gas vapors below decks. I wrapped mine in three contractor garbage bags when I had it on board. I found this post on an RV web forum - airforums.com - and got one for myself.

******post from www.airforums.com *********
For my Honda EU2000i storage I bought:

One Rubbermaid Roughneck 18 gallon bin (the silver one pictured with flat lid) AND one 32 gallon Rubbermaid Roughneck Trashcan (comes with raised lid). Both from Auburn CA True Value Hardware.

presto, chango:

I now have an 18 gallon bin with raised lid. Generator fits snug, smaller unit to stow than the actionpacker (which is $24.99 at Roseville CA Walmart yesterday).

And a new 32gal trash can for home, now with flat lid.

Lid snaps on snug (but not gasket sealed). 2500 miles with gen bin in back of packed SUV, haven't smelled it yet.

Overkill my man. My Honda EU2000i lives just left of the mast. Not even strapped down. Its "trapped" by the door to the head and the folding table. Honda's don't have a gas smell. Zip, zilch, nada. I had the thing in my living room for a week and my wife did not notice. Its spends the season on the boat, never, not even once has there been even the slightest gas smell. Nevermind the potential hazards, my wife would never allow this if it smelled even the slightest bit. Guys tend to "not notice" gas smells but the "Admirals" always do..... Granted, some may see this as unsafe, so if you feel that way, don't do what I do. I throw a bungie around the handle to the mast if its rough but the thing has never moved or had any odor so I stopped worrying about it.

RT

tripper_dave

Member II
Fresh Ground Percolator is the only solution!

I knew I had chosen the right boat, but this has proven that assumption, clearly Ericson sailors have their priorities straight.....
Going back to my days as a canoe guide, through our CS 22 and Catalina 27 and now in our Ericson 30-2 I buy good quality beans and store them in a sealed container. Years ago I bought a hand-operated coffee-grinder for $2 at a garage sale and I use one of 3 different sized aluminum percolators ranging from 2-mugs to 10-mugs in size. As with beer, I will not consume inferior beverages while cruising or at regattas!

This year I have a stockpile of Jamiacan Blue Mountain beans that my loving wife procured for me in the land of Appleton.
The 1,000 Islands and Lake Ontario will be an especially memorable cruise!:egrin:

adam

Member III
You seem very happy with the french press. So, the only issue seems to be keeping the coffee warm.

Have you considered just pouring the coffee into a thermos afterward?

I'd recommend getting some contigo cups. They're one of the best things ever for a boat -- They keep cold beverages cold, hot beverages hot, and never spill.

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-AUTOSEAL-Stainless-Insulated-Tumbler/dp/B001RMGVU8

2 cents,
-Adam

Calling all coffee lovers,

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful week at Catalina. Weather was great, sailing was great (it's an Ericison right?) Island people were great, cooking on the boat was fine, but coffee..................not so much. This is a very small issue in the overall picture, but coffee in the am is REALLY important to us. We have tried the French Press, Nice but coffee cools too quickly. Tried the one cup drip, not a fan. When sailing locally, we make coffee at home and store in a thermos. Any suggestions short of a pinch of grounds between cheek and gum is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam
86 32-3

tilwinter

Member III
Coffee

We have a similar craving (I think Swedes are the highest per capita coffee consumers in the world ?).

We use one of these on Senta-II View attachment 9692.

Let it perk for about 7 minutes and we're in heaven. The coffee brand does matter and we've gotten addicted to the CostCo store brand. Gevalia is better but CostCo's will do.

I used to make an insert for the basket out of round coffee filters to control the fine grounds and keep them where they belong but then we happened to find pre-made inserts by "Western Family" at the Isthmus so now we buy those instead (just picked up another four 55-packs last weekend).

-Sven

I missed this thread until today. One strong endorsement for Sven. I am also of Swedish descent, and all the Swedes I knew growing up in Minnesota, and later in Maine, drank perked coffee.

Whenever I charter with friends, I perk a pot for myself, and everyone is startled at the taste. Done properly, it can't be surpassed. But get it off the burner at 7 minutes, or it will scorch and ruin the taste.

Everyone says he/she isn't a morning coffee drinker, but when they smell the perked aroma, it goes fast. Don't forget one scoop "for the pot".

Just like the beer: everyone says "oh, I'll drink anything", but the good stuff always goes first.

MarcusJtown

Member II
I use a chemex 8 cup glass coffee maker. very simple, makes enough for a few people, and tastes great, in my opinion.