CNG or PROPANE

Sethro310

Am thinking of replacing Alc. Stove/oven combo. Have found used Force 10 unit how can I tell what fuel it is set up for. Owner has no idea . SN is #63351 ? Very hard to read. If CNG. Is fuel readily available in So Calif . Any help or suggestions will be welcome.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I would bet on the Force Ten being a propane fuel unit. While there might some around set up for CNG, I have never seen one.
Wouldn't there be a tag or label on the stove describing the fuel? Perhaps.
Loren

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Propane or CNG.

Dear friend, I'd have to agree with Loren, I'm as sure as I can be that the Force 10 stove is propane fueled. We have the two burner with oven model in addition to a Force 10 propane heater, both along the port is of our boat. If you have, or plan to have something similar, learn from my mistake and be sure to lead two separate propane lines from your tank or locker, one line per appliance. At first I led one line to the heater forward and inserted a T fitting in it as it passed the stove. That's an ABYC no-no and might also be a USCG infraction. Find a propane service shop near you and have the hoses custom made to length with the correct fittings added by them. The short line inside my propane locker separates into two and they lead to a pair of airtight through bulkhead fittings in the side of the propane locker. From there the two lines lead forward to their respective appliances. Go for it, they're nice stoves, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

woolamaloo

Member III
They don't make it very easy to find.

On Force 10’s Product Overview page http://www.force10.com/products.html I found the following:

All units can be produced to operate from Propane, Butane or Compressed Natural Gas.

That’s fairly unhelpful. I couldn’t find anything definitive about which was the default configuration. However, I found this on their FAQ page http://www.force10.com/faq.html

Q: What is the gas pressure Force 10 Ranges operate from?

A: The input pressure for LPG/Butane is 30 mbar (0.44 psi)

I replaced my non-operational alcohol oven with the 2 Burner Gimbal Cooktop. (Model 46238) I gambled and planned for propane. I have a buddy who is a carpenter. His company built me a cabinet and I’m going to update their website in barter. The cabinet and cooktop was just installed this week. I cooked onboard Thursday night.

Attachments

• 01-removed-alcohol-stove.jpg
    01-removed-alcohol-stove.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 02-opened.jpg
    02-opened.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 03-closed.jpg
    03-closed.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 04-lamb-chop.jpg
    04-lamb-chop.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

lnill

Member III
Maybe you could compare orifice size on the burner to a stove that you know the fuel type? CNG will be much larger (~2x) than propane. Are there any hoses to the stove? If so, what is in place? (Regulators, etc). cNG is low pressure. propane is high and should have a remote shut off valve.
When I replaced I contacted Force and they said they could make either propane or CNG so I suspect you can buy new orifices from them if you want to change. I decided to covert to propane for convenience. And frankly at $50 per tank refill for CNG I think propane will save me in the long haul.

Navman

Member III
If there is a tank on board it is easy to tell the difference. The CNG tank looks like a scuba tank and the propane..well we all know what they look like.

Don Moran AKA Navman

seabreeone

Member I
Cng

I have CNG on board. I like it. Send Force 10 a email with the model number and they will tell you what you have. Great company and good public relations. They quoted me $10.00 each to change the orifices over to propane. But after looking at the price of a propane tank and locker and etc. I kept my CNG , Remember CNG is lighter than air. It does not lay in your bilge. Dana point fuel dock has exchange tanks runs about 45.00.I am sure many other marinas have the same. We cook with a small canister butane stove (love it) or on the Bar B Q. Most the time we eat out when sailing to other locations. We do use the oven from time to time. but coffee etc. is on the barb.........Good luck.

Pat C.

Member III
I had CNG initially and had to convert to propane many years ago since I couldn't find anyone to refill the CNG canister (still have it, impossible to get rid of). Just purchased a conversion kit to switch the nozzles. Easy to do, worst case just price out the conversion kit to propane for the stove. I don't recall that being very expensive, the new propane hoses, solenoid, regulator and tanks were another matter. Luckily the boat already had propane lockers.

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
If CNG were more readily available, I'd go with it. Better heat output, and cooking, does not settle in the bilges. But it is not readily available anywhere, so propane it is! In Portland, the only place to fill a CNG tank was to take it to the natural gas utility, Northwest Natural.

Mark

don rees

available by surprise

If CNG were more readily available, I'd go with it. Better heat output, and cooking, does not settle in the bilges. But it is not readily available anywhere, so propane it is! In Portland, the only place to fill a CNG tank was to take it to the natural gas utility, Northwest Natural.

Mark

CNG is indeed hard to find. However seeing as you look to be located on Bainbridge Island, I will let you know. I was there just this weekend and discovered that the Chandlery there in Winslow has replacement cylinders and keep stock there. I counted 4 and did an exchange myself. I don't want to convert and as such this was a valuable find indeed.

Vagabond39

Member III
Force 10

Am thinking of replacing Alc. Stove/oven combo. Have found used Force 10 unit how can I tell what fuel it is set up for. Owner has no idea . SN is #63351 ? Very hard to read. If CNG. Is fuel readily available in So Calif . Any help or suggestions will be welcome.
"All units can be produced to operate from Propane, Butane or Compressed Natural Gas."

They can also be electric.
Specify what you want.
Find part numbers and request information from force 10.