Chesapeake Rendezvous again?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
June dates seem to be good for everyone so I would submit that to spinsheet. Probably want to include some contact info for readers who are not on this board.

Emerald

Date Submitted - time to finalize

OK, I've sent back confirmation to Spinsheet for the weekend of June 21-22. Now, we just need to nail down where to meet, race aspects etc. Really looking forward to this. It's just around the corner, so even though we may be thinking bottom paint right now, it's not too soon to think race/raftup and other good cheer! :egrin:

John Butler

Member II
Red Rover is in

The June dates are good for us. Our preference is to head south from Annapolis. We wouldn't mind doing Shaw bay again, and also like Ted's West R. suggestion. We're looking forward to it!
John

Trucker Doug

Member II
Ted, it was nice to meet you today. Sorry I didn't have time to be more sociable but the guy from Chesapeake rigging was helping me out for free and I didn't want to upset him by going off talking. Anyway, nice to put a face on the name. Thanks for stopping by.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Good to meet you as well. I did not have a lot of time myself as we were finishing up a rerig on another boat near by. If you ever need any rigging help in the future give me a shout and I will be glad to help. Hope you can make the rendevous this year.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Been hearing rumors of a big raft up party at West River the same weekend we are talking about getting together. This party was a real blast in past years with a band set up on a workboat in the raft. My brother plays bass with these guys who called themselves Tiki and the Barbarians. West River is a big enough anchorage to support our raft and the party raft up. Would give us added entertainment as well. I need to confirm that it is the same saturday but wanted to see if folks had any more thoughts on location for this year?

Emerald

Hi Ted,

it sounds like it could be fun to tag-team our raftup in the same creek, but I'll play devil's advocate and throw out a couple drawbacks. It could pull away from Ericson owners getting a chance to hang together and know each other better, and secondly, at some point it might be nice to go to bed. On the other hand, it might be a great way for Ericson owners to get together, hang out, and learn more about each other better than intended :egrin:, and who needs sleep anyway?

I'm up for anything, and it sounds like it could be a good thing. One more thought - do we want to be on the Eastern Shore so we have more sailing to do, or the Western Shore because it is closer for more folks (I think)?

Sandy White

Ericson Rendezvous 2008

Hello. I just opened the April 2008 SpinSheet, page 78. Here in Annapolis I guess we have it first. Anyway, the rendezvous sounds great for June 21-22, in any place but think west is best. My Ericson, Epiphany, is a 1984, 35foot, in good shape, kept in Back Creek at D-17 dock at Watergate village. Been there six years.

Let me know what I could help. My crew will also help. :egrin:

Sandy White
Epiphany, 1984
Annapoilis, MD

sandy21493@comcast.net
(H) 410-990-9875
(C) 410-571-5156

Sandy White

Change E-MAIL

E-Mail is; sandy21403 AT comcast DOT net

sorry for the mistake
Sandy
Loren (Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Not hearing any objections to West river as the spot for this year we will plan on that. I am coordinating with my powerboat friend to give us a start at Thomas point at noon on the 21'st. I'll plan a simple course that will probably be something like down to a bouy off poplar island, back up to R2 off annapolis with a finish near the mouth of the west river. This way we should be able to get an upwind start. If its a northerly we will just reverse the course. Probably easiest if we all start together and sort out the ratings than trying to have one-design starts, but maybe not if we have enough boats.

david henry

Member I
Strider is hoping to make the rendezvous. If West River isn't etched in stone, one other location is worth considering on the Western shore. The cove behind Gibson Island is tranquil and free of powerboat traffic.

Last edited:

Emerald

June raftup reminder

Hi All,

just a reminder that our raftup on June 21 on the West River is just around the corner. Look forward to some great cheer in a few weeks

:cheers:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Should be a blast. I am pretty sure I have a powerboat lined up for a startline. Will look at the chart tonight (going sailing in 10 minutes:egrin:) But probably look for a course south to 83 or some mid bay bouy, then north to R2 with the finish at a mark near the entrance to West river. Figure we'll do one combined start for everyone and sort out the numbers later if we have mixed e-boats sailing. Can't wait!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Okay so once again I forgot to look at the chart and get the course set up but I will. I turns out I got a ride for the Annapolis to Bermuda race and will be flying back from Bermuda on the 20th, missing the race parties and awards but getting home just in time to hop on Escape Plan and make the start saturday at noon. Will probably still be out of it from 5 days of offshore racing but I wouldn't miss this event for the world. Hope you all are getting excited and pray for good weather. Actually while you are praying put in a good word for me for the Bermuda race as the start is Friday the 13th :scared::scared:

EGregerson

Member III
CB Race and Par-tee

Hi Everyone; Sign me up. Jun 21. I'll arrive West river evening Jun 20 from Port Kinsale Marina in the Northern Neck. From the look of chart 12270, West River looks like a good anchorage. What vhf channel do we use?

I've consulted the oracle; On Friday the 13th, The Burmuda Triangle will become the Burmuda Quadrangle; there's your window, Ted.

John Butler

Member II
Race Course

Ted,

Starting at GR C “SR” where we started last year, down to G “83”, up to R “2” and then down to G “1A” at the mouth of the West R. (using GR C “SR” again as a mark to pass to starboard on the way down) is a 25.6 NM course on the ruhmbline. I think that is too far for this group. Using G “85A” as the southern mark with GR C “SR” again as an interim mark on the way up to R “2” shortens the course to 16.5 NM. In order to have a windward start, we have the following 2 courses as options:

Wind from the SW:
GR C “SR” start
G “85A” round to port
GR C “SR” pass to port
R “2” round to port
GR C “SR” pass to starboard
G “1A” for West R. finish with mark to port

Wind from the NW:
GR C “SR” start
R “2” round to port
GR C “SR” pass to starboard
G “85A” round to port
GR C “SR” round to port (for a somewhat shorter course [13.2 NM] we could replace with
G “1” for West R. pass to port)
G “1A” for West R. finish with mark to port

If we need to shorten couse, we could eliminate the leward mark and turn at GR C "SR", heading to the West R.

What do others think?

Good luck with the Bermuda Ocean Race, Ted! Looking forward to hearing about it on the 21st.

John