changing our stripes

dc27

have boat, need time
there's always a lot of discussion of what the best bottom paint is, but i'm wondering what paint to use *above* the waterline, for a stripe or such. the blue stripes that run the length of my 27 where hull meets deck are badly faded by the years, and i'm thinking a fresh coat of something could spruce it up without too much effort. (i'm probably wrong.) i'm looking at the current "splash screen" of Sorcerer, and thinking that deep blue stripe looks great.

any advice on what paint is best, and how to prep for such a project?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We used Interlux Brightside "boot top" paint on our last freshwater boat and it worked fine, but I haven't had to do it on our current boat on the coast. At that time, we simply did a light sanding/cleaning, taped the top and bottom of the bootstripe with green masking tape and applied two coats of the single part paint. I took the masking tape off before it dried (at an angle away from the paint to avoid smudging it). It went on well with either a brush or a foam brush, and lasted a couple of years before needing a touch up.
I would recommend talking with a tech rep from Interlux--they have a 1-800 number and are very helpful.
Frank.

I think DC27 wasn't talking about the boot stripe, but rather the colored area, just below the deck that usually matches the boot stripe, which means the same paint would be good....sometimes it isn't paint on these areas but specialized tape.
On my boat the P.O. had used the boot stripe tape that matches the above colored area that is the optional raised & tinted gel coat. Both colored areas now need renewing and I too was thinking boot stripe paint for both areas. I'm guessing that the colored area that DC27 is talking about could also be painted with a deck paint since it isn't in a splash zone quite like the boot stripe, but maybe some confusion exists as perhaps boot stripe paint and deck paint could be used interchangeably?
- Chris

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Chris, on re-reading the initial post, I think you're right that he's referring to the stripe at the hull/deck joint. I think the same approach would still be relevant, though the paint would last longer than on the bootstripe at the waterline, where the water and contaminants would wear it away more quickly.

Although I used the Interlux paint identified for the bootstripe when I did mine, the paint didn't look or feel any different than the Interlux Brightside one part polyurethane with which I painted a previous boat. I wonder if they just put it in a different can with a different label--that's why I also suggested a discussion with one of their tech reps, who may offer helpful comments on the qualities of their various paints.

Frank.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Cove Stripe

I believe the stripe just below the hull-deck joint is called a "Cove" Stripe.

We repainted ours with straight Petit Brightsides. Its held up fine so far, but would have looked better if we weren't rushed to get it done before the sun went down that day. :mad:

The dark-blue (can't remember the name) matches the original Ericson-blue gelcoat color pretty well.

I was told that the bootstripe paint was the same formulation as Brightsides.

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Boot Stripe vs, Brightside

Interlux Boot Paint is Brightside that they add teflon too to prohibit things sticking too it. I have painted the boot and cove stripe with Brightside, Simple to do, I tape and scuff up, wipe down with 202. Roll with West System 3" roller and tip off with a foam brush. Everything works perfect if the air and hull temperature is about 70 degrees. Read the directions on the can and Interlux pamplet.

dc27

have boat, need time
sorry, i was out all day. i was in fact talking about the "cove stripe," although i had no idea that's what it was called.

thanks for all the responses! now if it would just hit 70 degrees around here--

Don Smith

Member II
A few years ago I was looking into re-painting the dark blue cove stripe on my E26 which was badly faded and generally just looked bad. At the marine hardware store where I was looking at paint, the owner suggested that before commiting to re-painting, I try to shine it up using a product called Meguiar's Color Restorer-Marine/RV 44. I was skeptical, but was willing to try almost anything that was relatively cheap to avoid painting.

To my surprise it worked great and I continue to apply it yearly. My cove stripe still looks good.

I see that the product is listed for $12.99 on page 341 of the 2008 WM catalog, but you probably can get it cheaper somewhere else, perhaps at a discount auto supply store.

Good luck

Captain Don