chalky paint on mast......

vanfuego

Island Bird
Im having a problem with the paint i used on my mast. i used pettit paint (2 part) that i got for free from someone in the boat yard. Im not sure how old it was, but i was assured it was fine. I used a zinc chromate wash first and was sure I was following all rules that applied to painting aluminum. Now im looking at a big chalky mess. This sucks because ive stepped the mast and Im gettig ready to launch. I havent had the rigging adjusted yet so its possible to haul it out and repaint it. I was wondering what kind of advice is out there on how to fix this problem?

Emerald

what time of the day did you paint the mast? If you had dew occur at any point that the paint was still "wet", it could have caused it to blush.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Does the Pettit paint require a primer between the zinc and the top coat? I used Interlux Perfection on my boom and it required zinc, primer then top coat. Any impurity left on the surface between the primer and the top coat will also cause problems. I had to start over on the top coat because the dye in the micro fiber rags I used to wipe down after sanding the primer left some residue. I couldn't even see it until I wiped it down again with solvent and new white rags and saw a very slight yellow tint on the rags. Blushing sounds like the problem if the paint isn't actually rubbing off on your hands. Varnish will do this very easily also if it moisture gets into it while drying.

vanfuego

Island Bird
chalky

thanks for the info,
Im in washington state and i see a lot of rain. Its possible moisture caused it to "blush", is that the right term. I dont recall a primer being needed. I used sterling paint on the hull and was very successful, i may try using it if i repaint. would a UV protection coat be useful over the blushed paint?

vanfuego

Island Bird
chalky mast

Thanks David,
The paint seems to rub off on my hand. It has a very chalky,milky residue. It has even dripped down onto the deck. Im afraid I'll have to repaint. Bummer, oh well at least the paint im going to sand off was free. lesson learned.