Chain plate on 35-2 question

unequaltee

Member II
I have at last got around to making up new chain plates for my 35-2. unfortunately it was a few years ago when i removed the old ones and i notice that the holes in the old chain plates are 1/2" but it appears the backing plates only have 3/8 holes in them. Would anyone be able to tell me the size of bolts Ericson used please?
Thanks in advance
Ian

garryh

Member III
Ian I may be the only one not understanding but the old chainplates had 1/2" holes and the old backing plates behind the old chainplates had 3/8" holes..?? No idea how this could happen but if it is actually the case, someone has been monkeying around and not in a good way. I am not at my boat ('78 35-2) so I cannot measure but the bolts are at least 1/2"... possibly a PO put in backing plates (I do not think they would be factory) and only had a 3/8" bit..?? : |
Anyhoo... a bad set up.... obviously the hole sizes need to match, and the holes in the bulkhead are (at least) 1/2"

unequaltee

Member II
Thank You, Its what I thought, I was going to make them with 1/2" bolts, ( well 12mm) using the old chain plate as the backing plate but seeing the old plate gave rise to the question. I remember chucking the bolts as they were A2 and leaving rust streaksand took no notice of the size, but obviously the previous owner not only skimped on the grade but also the size!
cheers
Ian

garryh

Member III
hi Ian... I would have thought that someone else would have chimed in by now but the obvious answer is that if the original chainplate was drilled for 1/2" bolts, that is what you should go with. I don't think backing plates were installed at factory so clearly a PO has been messing with it. Cannot believe someone would put 3/8" bolts into 1/2" holes in such a structurally critical piece of boat. It is possible that the holes in the bulkhead have now been compromised so make sure to check that out. Also check the deck above and the bulkheads for rot.. a related thread going on now:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?15592-chainplate-repair
Had to google A2 : ) appears to be what we call 304... this should not be rusting and weeping... possibly due to incompatible backing plate material..?
good luck, garry

unequaltee

Member II
Hi Garry
I have found through out this restoration the previous owner, would not spend a pound if he thought a penny would do!
The replacement of the bulkheads was my first job when I bought this boat many moons ago, so all good there. Thanks again for confirming what I thought on the bolt sizes.
Ian

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I'll check this weekend, but I distinctly remember that the chain plates for my 35-II's uppers/intermediates (the big chain plates) used 1/2" bolts, and the chain plates for the bow and forward lowers used 3/8", but could be mistken. I replaced my chain plates in 2012.

What material did you use for the new set of chain plates? And if you want to start an online argument, you should dogmatically say that stainless (or titanium) is best for the job. I'll make the popcorn and watch.

garryh

Member III
I would have to sell my house to afford titanium. I asked a few metal shops and they just rolled their eyes : |
Ian I (and I am sure others) would be interested in any comments or suggestions you have from doing your bulkheads. I have that job ahead of me this Spring... at least the stbd side. I am planing to replace just to the outer edge of what they call 'the liquor cabinet' and do whatever with the joint (glue and screw likely with a wooden batten to conceal). I do not believe you would get additional strength from replacing the whole thing, just better aesthetics. (open to suggestions)
I will use epoxy tabbing with a foam insert/fillet to radius the joint between bulkhead and hull.
The port side is a little trickier, mine is not yet exposed, but I think it is 5' wide and a single piece can't be gotten down the companionway if you were so inclined to do one piece.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ti thoughts

I would guess that we boaters are such a small little niche market that only a few national-distributed companies can supply TI parts at a reasonable price.
I found several with a quick search.

https://www.infinitytitanium.com

and:
https://www.alliedtitanium.com/products/marine/rigging-parts/chainplates/index.php

The later one has in the past had a person contributing to some sailing lists and from his comments seemed to know what he was talking about, for what it's worth.

Unless the price was a lot more than 316L stainless steel, I will change any external plates to Ti when and if needed.

When you call or write, best to have exact measurements. When contacting builders/vendors I have found that until I specify exactly what I want, all I can get are 'ball park quotes' which can be rather unhelpful.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The single external chainplate for my backstay takes six 1/2" bolts.

The internal chainplates are smaller, I think. Lots more bolts and 1/2" would seem like overkill.

E38 internal chainplates.jpg