Carbon Fiber Radar Pole Install

jmoses

Member III
Found a great deal on ebay on a carbon fiber radar pole made by Seaview (PYI) out of Washington.

The gent let it go for 1/2 of a new pole and it was only a year old!

Anyway, what a carbon radar pole looks like on a 1972 E-35 MII

Attachments

• Radar Pole front Large Web view.jpg
    Radar Pole front Large Web view.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 586
  • Radar Pole Vertical Large Web view.jpg
    Radar Pole Vertical Large Web view.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 700
  • Radar Pole mount Large Web view.jpg
    Radar Pole mount Large Web view.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,206

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow!

That is SO nice.
I have been looking for a deal just like that for the last 7 years. Obviously I have not been looking in the right place at the right time. :boohoo:
Our boat came with an aluminum pole, 4" with quarter inch wall! It's well built, but way too heavy for our boat.

Did you ever consider painting it to match the hull? (Just curious)

Loren in PDX

wurzner

Member III
What's one worth to you guys who don't have one?

I use to work for a company that does a fair amount of carbon fiber table rolling and could get you a deal. The only issue is, they used a male mandrel opposed to a female one so the outside would have ridges that would be consistent, but noticeable. They use an N/C system do lay it down so the ridges would be evenly spaces and very minor, but definately not a mirrir smooth finish. Nothing a D/A sander, a little paint, and a little time couldn't overcome. If anyone is interested, let me know back channel and I will contact them for availability and pricing. I was thinking of doing a spinnaker pole as well.

shaun

Peregrine

Member II
I would be very interested in the carbon fiber spinnaker pole. The aluminum pole for my 380 is 16.3' and is a bit unwieldy.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Carbon time!

Hi Shaun,
I too am interested. I checked the measurements of the "aluminum pipe monster" inherited from the prior owner and IF I choose to hacksaw it off where it passes down through the sloping transom and use the inside for a socket, I would need a new carbon pole with an OD of 2 5/8". Length would be 10 feet. If the pole available is a larger OD than that, I will remove the existing pole complete and re-invent a new socket in composite material. In either situation I would be making a top plate in honeycomb core and epoxy and cloth...
(This has "winter project" writen all over it.)

The post I have now is about 3 1/4" OD with what I measure to be a 1/4" wall. For being aluminum, it is quite heavy... And to add insult to injury, it is on the port side. Olson 34's are all slightly heavy on that side. Sheesh!

Oh well, if owning a yacht was easy, anyone could do it..
:headb:

Best,
Loren

Last edited: