Canvas cockpit enclosure

betocarter4

I'm on the list for new canvas with Iverson in Olympia for a full cockpit enclosure and am looking for ideas for my '88 38-200. Does anyone have photos of their full enclosures I could look at? I'm 6' tall and am debating looking over vs through the dodger, and need a higher bimini than I have currently, so it would have to remain aft of the boom.
Thanks! - Rob

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm 6' tall and am debating looking over vs through the dodger,
Just an opinion--probably worth less than you are paying for it--but to me there's nothing that ruins the look of an otherwise nice looking boat more than a dodger that's too tall. That just wrecks the boat's lines.

Aesthetically speaking, dodgers are tricky things to get right. I've seen a (very) few that have actually enhanced the look of the boat--again, IMHO--and others that at least didn't degrade the boat's look too terribly much. Personally, I'd be pretty happy if I could at least achieve the latter. I could be wrong, but for someone your height and on that boat I think that would mean looking through it.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Some dodgers and especially bimini enclosures limit visibility and make it much harder to maintain good sail trim underway. Try to avoid that with good size windows, zippers in the right places to allow access, etc.
Frank

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Practical Sailor did an article on a pram style dodger that I thought was clever and should stay out of the way of most running rigging. It is more of a spray hood than a full dodger and can be folded down when not needed. It's a subscriber-only article, but here's a couple pictures:

Pram Dodger Spray Hood.png
Pram Dodger Spray Hood Frame.png

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Practical Sailor did an article on a pram style dodger that I thought was clever and should stay out of the way of most running rigging. It is more of a spray hood than a full dodger and can be folded down when not needed. It's a subscriber-only article, but here's a couple pictures:

View attachment 48776
View attachment 48778
That's pretty darn slick, especially if you can keep it folded and out of the way most of the time. Of course, on a tiller-steered E26 like ours, a regular wide dodger that came farther aft would also provide some sun protection from the normal steering position.

jtsai

Member III
Not a 38-300 and not full enclosure but my 32-3 dodger was built for 6' skipper able to looking over it behind the helm. A 32-200 at the club has a "see-through" dodger but makes the slick Ericson look boxy, like a cruiser ready to head down to the Bahamas.

Items to consider for a "looking-over" dodger design:
- not everyone onboard helming is 6' tall so shorter person will play peekaboo over the dodger or need to stand on a stool
- the Ericson's substantial bridge deck reduces height clearance at the cabin entrance, ingress/egress with a backpack is next to impossible.
- the glass rolled up to a 3" bundle so you lose 3" clearance for shorter crew to look under the dodger. If possible, design it so the glass rolls down instead of up

A look-through dodger with full enclosure is one of the items I would change if using this boat for extensive cruising. The weather at the PNW and how you wish to use the boat will influence your choice.

1702515171332.png

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I'm not certain this will give you the exact photographic evidence you're seeking, but here's mine. Like you, I'm 6-feet tall, so I see over the dodger without any trouble. (My 5'2" wife, not so much.) With the cover attached in the second photo, you can see the slope down from the bimini to the dodger. Might need to zoom in on the photo a bit. It works well for us.

IMG_0101.jpegIMG_2184.jpeg

paul culver

Member III
Many dodgers have web tension adjustment straps to secure the aft bow corners to the coaming. I'd recommend stainless tubing instead. Much more secure when using the dodger as a handgrip which inevitably happens.

betocarter4

I'm not certain this will give you the exact photographic evidence you're seeking, but here's mine. Like you, I'm 6-feet tall, so I see over the dodger without any trouble. (My 5'2" wife, not so much.) With the cover attached in the second photo, you can see the slope down from the bimini to the dodger. Might need to zoom in on the photo a bit. It works well for us.

View attachment 48802View attachment 48803
Very helpful, thank you

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Iverson did a really good job with my dodger on the 32-3. I'm 6' and still struggle with seeing over or under it, though. You have to make it pretty tall to be able to see through it consistently.

IMG_0736.jpg63330885904__B8AA67C6-2480-4B3D-A789-AC52A7364F13.jpg

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Here are some pics of our full enclosure. I’d say the dodger is a little high for my liking, I’d prefer to be able to see over it more easily even if it meant needing to duck to go below. But small problems, right?

We spend 90% of the time with the side and back panels off, even in winter.
IMG_8227.jpeg

A little idea of the look-over height I mentioned above.
IMG_9030.jpeg

Pic from pre-purchase survey which was the best I could find showing the full enclosure buttoned up.
IMG_6027.jpeg

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it. It was made by Iverson (at least most of it - a few pieces look like replacements or ???). We’ve been happy with it. We replaced the two main dodger windows last summer but left the small center one as it was in pretty good shape. Did a little maintenance this summer on bits here and there. Zippers are starting to go in a couple places so starting to replace them as needed is on the list.

betocarter4

Just to follow up - I went with keeping the dodger lower so I could maintain better visibility. My thinking was that I didn't want to try to turn her into a pilot house cruiser. In exchange for better visibility while sailing, I sacrificed pilot-house style comfortable motoring. If I want to motor totally enclosed, I'll have to sit or crouch a bit to see through the front glass. I decided that I would rather make that sacrifice than to have a tall dodger that I always had to look through. With salt spray or a fine soft misty rain, that could make visibility difficult. Anyway, everything is a trade off and that's the one I chose. She looks great. I go pick her up from Iverson's in Olympia this weekend. Thanks for all the input.
Cheers,
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_7234.JPEG
    IMG_7234.JPEG
    446 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7235.JPEG
    IMG_7235.JPEG
    453.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7236.JPEG
    IMG_7236.JPEG
    340.3 KB · Views: 9