Can someone explain the difference....

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Can someon explain the difference between a transmission with a cone clutch and a regular marine transmission? I used to have a small Hurth, but it began to slip and was replaced with a small Twin Disc transmission. I remember that the diesel mechanic who installed it said that this would be a much better transmission because it had a cone clutch. Several sailors in our marina agreed that the Hurth is not a good transmission and that Twin Disc is better--but as I don't know anything about either, I just listened. I did read most of the posts on this site about Hurth transmissions, and it appeared that there were problems with them requiring replacement on a number of Ericsons.

This came to mind because a recent thread on free-wheeling propeller mentioned different transmissions, and this sparked my recall of this lingering question I had on the differences in these transmissions.

Thanks for any info.

Frank

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
MaineSail will likely answer better than me but the type of clutch is probably not particularly relevant, only that it is operated in the correct manner. Apparently Hurth wants their transmissions locked in reverse under sail. Others do not. Operated correctly I cannot see how one design is vastly superior to the other.

That said, I have read on this board where certain Hurth transmissions did not stand up to regular use and failed. Apparently this is not necessarily the fault of the transmission, but that the transmissions were undersized when installed. When these same "problem" transmissions are replaced with the next larger Hurth the problem disappears. If the design was the issue it would still fail.

I've never heard much one way or the other of what transmission is best, etc. There are many, many Hurth's out there on the water giving reliable service. Some mechanics like one brand or another for many reasons. I'm pretty sure you could find a mechanic that liked Hurth and thought Twin Disc were crap.

Just make sure that you are operating and servicing the transmission you own correctly and likely your problems will be few.

RT