Can anyone give me information about Sea Marine in Pt. Townsend?

Soupy sails

Member II
I’m doing an engine swap. Removing the universal for a new beta.
Ericson 32-2 Olympia. I’ve just spoken with a friend who has an islander who has some pretty negative things to say about te engine work they did on his boat. I’ve paid for the engine but not for the install yet.

Thanks any advice will be welcome

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I recall that another site member had good help with install advice from the Betamarine dealer, in the San Juans (IIRC). My install was done while in the water, here in Portland. I am fortunate to know an expert ship wright.

Last edited:

Soupy sails

Member II
Thanks Loren,

Sea Marine was the shop recommendation for the sale by the beta distribution folks for the west coast so that’s who I went with but I’m a little nervous about the install. They haven’t been very responsive. I paid the deposit for this engine four months ago.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I see that there are several dealers in Washington. The guy that owns the local dealership (Betamarine Oregon) is, by coincidence, a friend and also a member of our YC. He has the same model, Betamarine25, in his boat that I installed in mine, I am a lucky guy. :)
Your boat is only about 800# lighter than ours, and probably has the same factory Universal m25XP that we had. While you might get by OK with the Beta 20, I would guess that you would also like the Beta 25. Lots of pix of our install in my blog on this site, BTW.

Last edited:

Soupy sails

Member II
Thanks Loren,

i realize that many folks are reluctant to share negative or positive thoughts about particular service providers.
That said, I don’t know how to get any information one way or the other, as of now I’m just going on some negative dock scuttle butt.
I could post my personal email if that would help but I know that with the state of this public forum what that will get me as well, however I’m willing to do that in order to get some kind of help or advice. In the past I’ve been able to get some pretty decent advice from this forum but this time aside from Loren nothing but crickets. I know that people in this area have used this boat yard for repairs.
What say you brother and sister Ericson sailors?

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I’ve not heard anything specific about Sea Marine but Ive heard from others that generally work done in PT takes a loooooooooong time. If it makes sense think about Raven Marine in Sidney BC. I‘ve worked with them and been very happy. Not a repower but they uncoupled my engine, moved it forward for access, replaced rear crankshaft main seal, PSS, and cutlass bearing and put all back together and aligned the shaft.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
many folks are reluctant to share negative or positive thoughts about particular service providers.

I hope not. This is the age of customer reviews, and our experiences should be shared for the benefit of all.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If anyone has something anecdotal to pass along, just click on the screen name of the OP, and then select the "start conversation" option.
FWIW, I do try to share positive thoughts, and whether good or bad, always put in some info to show date or era. Some shops can change management and this will really flip the reviews, either way.
Example is a top notch boat yard in my area. As long as Dave is running it I will recommend it without hesitation. :)

Soupy sails

Member II
I’ve not heard anything specific about Sea Marine but Ive heard from others that generally work done in PT takes a loooooooooong time. If it makes sense think about Raven Marine in Sidney BC. I‘ve worked with them and been very happy. Not a repower but they uncoupled my engine, moved it forward for access, replaced rear crankshaft main seal, PSS, and cutlass bearing and put all back together and aligned the shaft.
Thanks S. I’m fine with slow I’m even good with expensive as long as the workmanship is good. Taking her up to Canada is a compilation I’m trying to avoid but thanks for the info. I’m just trying to decide whether or not to stay with this company or no before I have to commit once the engine arrives.

Soupy sails

Member II
If anyone has something anecdotal to pass along, just click on the screen name of the OP, and then select the "start conversation" option.
FWIW, I do try to share positive thoughts, and whether good or bad, always put in some info to show date or era. Some shops can change management and this will really flip the reviews, either way.
Example is a top notch boat yard in my area. As long as Dave is running it I will recommend it without hesitation. :)
Yep Loren,

I’d be happy with a positive report. Would make life a lot easier for me but unfortunately I’m at the mercy of an unknown yard. Which brings me here.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I used Sea marine for a haul out during my survey and got a few quotes for some work while we were out. Ultimately we decided to do the work closer to home, but they were great during the haul out. Very helpful and knowledgeable. Even willing to go above an beyond with loaning wrenches when we found a leaking packing gland during the survey. Obviously not an engine replacement, but it says a lot when a company is willing to help when they don't have a big ticket customer to please.