California Yacht Club Fire

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thelonious is OK, no boats affected. But the club is gutted. Fire developed last night 11:30 p.m.

Brunch Sunday was typical family (well, not really, brunch for my bunch is once every five years), but the contrast in venue today is kinda sad.

ccw Lena  Kat.JPG...cyc  fire.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
From the initial news story it sounds like there were no serious injuries, so that's good. I hope the injured fire fighters recover completely.
Does the marina presently have power and water to the slips?
Ironically we were routinely discussing our club's general insurance on our docks and structures at the board meeting last night, and we believe (hopefully) that we are sufficiently insured. The subject is always important.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Thelonious is OK, no boats affected. But the club is gutted. Fire developed last night 11:30 p.m.

Brunch Sunday was typical family (well, not really, brunch for my bunch is once every five years), but the contrast in venue today is kinda sad.

View attachment 48765...View attachment 48766

So sorry to hear that! I hope it can be rebuilt and life can eventually get back to normal. Nice that no boats were affected, and hopefully the injured firefighters will recover quickly.
Frank

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Ouch! Reminds me of the fire at the St Francis Yacht Club. Both at Christmas. Check those lights and garlands at your boats and houses!

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
So sorry to hear this, and hope the firefighters recover quickly

I've never visited the club, but the description in the article matches how my partner describes our club (Richmond YC), "our local Cheers bar"

Bepi

E27 Roxanne

Sorry to hear Christian.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Ouch! Reminds me of the fire at the St Francis Yacht Club. Both at Christmas. Check those lights and garlands at your boats and houses!
Amazing! On Dec 12, 2015 the Annapolis Yacht Club building caught fire and was gutted. The blaze started in an artificial Christmas tree. Took more than a year to rebuild.

windblown

Member III
So sorry to read this, but so glad to hear boats and people are ok. There’s powerful meaning in a place where memories and relationships have intertwined over decades and generations—and this building held more than half a century of experiences.
We have an ivy that creeps its way up an old maple out front. I pass by it every day, going and coming from the house. Its growth seems unremarkable from one season to another. A tendril reaches up here. A vine stretches around there. The laver of deep green seems to inch its way up the trunk for several years. When I eventually decide its time to cut it back to the ground for the sake of the Maple, I am always fascinated and impressed by the strength and complexity of the network of vines.
For me, the clubhouse at our yacht club is the place where many unremarkable moments and casual exchanges over the years have grown into a web of connections that bring a certain satisfaction and deep fondness.
Thinking of you, Christian, and others at Admiralty Way.

Felicity

Member I

Wow that sucks, what a cute clubhouse that was.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I think the Lake Champlain Yacht club has only burned twice. We have a melted trophy in the case to commemorate. But of course that’s horrible news. History destroyed and probably a bit of a scramble to figure out what to do with the staff and just how to keep the organization running. Glad I got to enjoy it while it was there and hopefully something better will rise in its place.

abeut

Very sorry to hear about the club fire. Bright side, no one was injured, no yachts burned and the new clubhouse will be better than ever I'm sure.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Just seeing this....just horrible. Glad no one was hurt, and hope you guys rebuild with a minimum of issues...

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Hope the rebuild goes well Christian, tough way to start the new year. Glad Thelonius is OK and nobody was seriously hurt.