Calculating length for a main sheet

thomthod

Member II
I have a E29 and trying to calculate the length needed for a new main sheet. I think I heard the factor is 2.5 times, giving me about 73 feet. Does that sound about right?

thanks

T

blooz traveler

tenders

Innocent Bystander
It entirely depends on how your mainsheet is rigged, this isn't something you ought to guess at. There are many possible "optimal" lengths depending on whether the mainsail is sheeted at the end, midboom, amount of leverage it's rigged with, etc.

I would suggest looking at your existing mainsheet with the boom out all the way and deciding if it's the right length, and adding or subtracting a little from that depending on how you feel about it. Or simulate a mainsheet with a length of thin nylon string run through the hardware.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With the boom pushed to the shrouds, you ought to be able to tape measure each fall, add 'em up, and allow enough extra to easily reach it from wherever you normally manage the end of the sheet.

LB

Bill Sanborn

Member III
E29 Mainsheet

Mine was 74' of 3/8" Samson XLS, IIRC that leaves an extra 10' with the boom all the way out. I have end boom sheeting w/ 4:1 ratio.

I have always liked Samson because it is easy to splice and seems to stay pliable as well as fairly low stretch.

On an E29 you can use 3/8" for anything. You might get a deal on whole spool and split with somebody.