Busted Nose protector

arrenz

Busted Nose protector on E29

Hello all,
Yesterday during a race I struck another boat head on with my E29 after losing control on an accidental jibe and neither of us could get out of the way. I basically t-boned the side of his boat. Luckily there wasn't much more than a dent in his rail but my danforth that is kept on the bow split right through the noseguard or nose protector that holds in the rub rails on each side to the bow. Luckily it was there or else the forestay chainplate could've been damaged. My question is:

Does anyone know where to get another one of these fitted? or can you just buy them in a general size and they fit most boats? Where would I buy one? or would it be just best to repair the shattered one I have (its pretty mangled)?
Thanks gents

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
That piece is really decorative. In a more solid collision it would have offered only token protection to the forestay chainplate.

There is an article in Good Old Boat magazine, December 2007, on how to fabricate a new one using a piece of PVC electrical conduit. After filling the PVC tube with dry sand, capping it, and heating it in an oven at 235 degrees for half an hour, it can be bent to the shape of a cardboard template. Once it cools in the shape you want, take off the caps, pour out the sand, and cut it with a jigsaw. The author then painted his, and bonded it to the bow with LifeSeal caulk instead of screwing it on.

I haven't done this myself but my bow cap broke several years ago and it's something I've been meaning to do.

Phil Adams

Member I
Had a similar problem with one of the fittings on the transom of trithena when I first bought her - I made a temporary repair of the part then, after coating with release agent I laid up some wetted out glass to create a female mould. Once hardened it was then a simple job to layup a new fitting in the mould, trim off surplus whilst still 'green' and then fit. Whole job took a couple of evenings and once painted you can't tell the difference from original. Well worth the effort.