• Untitled Document

Join us on May 31st, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

May Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Build plate info?

cdh4088

Member II
Here is the build plate from my project 78 E32 tall rig: KIMG0952.JPG

Ive looked at many pictures of these boats online, and I have not found another quite like it. The interior is loaded with fitted wood. there isnt a single inch of visible fiberglass inside. Originally had a padded headliner that is gone now. Also came from the factory with flush mounted through hulls all around, which I thought odd.
Can someone tell me more about my boat? were there different interior trim options? Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great to see this subject come up. I would still like to source or make one for our '88 model.
Previous discussion: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/builders-plate.7811/page-8

Technology for plaques has changed in the last decade. I wonder if anyone here has first hand experience with newer methods? I could imagine 3D Printing being used nowadays to make a bas-relief plaque, looking just like cast bronze (depending on the material).

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That is a good question for all those who have factory builders plates. Is there a standard location where they are supposed to go? This might also bear on what size they should/can be.

When I had one made from scratch, my uninformed reasoning was that it should be located at the nav station. Since I also had the registration number, radio call sign, and mmsi added to the plate, I thought it should be near the radios. And since they were cheap, I had a second one made to go at the helm.

Re: The OP. Wisdom gleaned from this site suggests that considerable customization could be done at the factory, for customer-ordered boats. It is entirely possible that unique features could be found. But are you saying there is no interior fiberglass liner? Surely that was a structural element of the boat? But I have heard cases of people who decided to cut them out during a rebuild.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have seen a builder plaque mounted on the inside of the teak trim, at the companionway entry. I.e. you view it while standing on the inside facing the cockpit. This is a vertical surface about 2" tall. A 1990 boat, IIRC.
One bit of trivia: the builder plaque is about the basic boat model, and will not usually reference customization ordered by the customer.

Last edited: