Buhk DV20ME/ Westerbeke W20 Blowby issues

grn3500gt

We went for a day sail not too long ago and, because my engine is old, I check it frequently when we stop after running a bit. I noticed that it had blown oil out of the top of the two nuts that hold the valve cover on. I checked for blow-by through the oil fill plug and sure enough there was a consistent puff. There was no smoke or odd smells coming and I checked the oil for fuel smells and there was non. The engine starts relatively quickly. I have not checked compression but seems to run smooth. I have discovered that there is a "venting Valve" (crankcase breather) part #0008e4177 (Circled in red) under the crank case that is supposed to vent the extra pressure into the intake. I want to start by the easy and cheap stuff first before committing to a tear down and rebuild. My problem is that the bolts that hold it down (circled in blue) are stipped. They are Flat head screwdriver. Online resources tend to insinuate that you can clean this valve. I also have faced the issue that this part is virtually impossible to find for less than a first born child and shipping that costs more than the part itself, as most parts for this engine. I will eventually re power the boat but as I am currently learning to sail correctly and short on cash flow I would like to get as much as I can squeeze out of it. Hurray for BoatTowUS! :egrin:

My question: Have any of you had any experience with cleaning or rebuilding this part? Do you know how I should go about replacing or finding an alternative for a viable price? Have any of you simply replaced the fill plug with a vent type valve and how did that help your positive crankcase pressure and is that a good alternative?

Any other recommendations or comments would be appreciated too. I searched far and wide and came to these conclusions based on my research but it has been a dead end since.

Thank you!

attachment.php

Attachments

• venting valve.png
    venting valve.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 745

grn3500gt

Update

So it seems this fixed my issue. I got it off, dunked in diesel and the internal metal diaphragm sounds like it loosened up. No sure if the diaphragm was the problem or if it was clogged as it turned the diesel black but it fixed the blow-by. Thought I would update for anyone who has this issue in the past.

My current situation is that I cannot seem to find a replacement valve cover gasket that wont break the bank. Anyone have experience with something other than cork that will work and has 1/8" in thickness?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Back in my misspent youth when I hung out with racers and autocross drivers, I recall that someone was always making a gasket out of paper or cork -- for low pressure usage. This would not suffice for a head gasket, for instance.

I wonder if the fall-back position is to buy a sheet of gasket material of the right thickness and cut out a new one?

Emerald

You should be able to hit your local NAPA and buy a variety of gasket material in sheet form to make what you need. Also, it might not be necessary to have it so thick or to have it out of cork. I've seen plenty of other materials used on valve covers. And in a pinch, I've tapped gaskets out of manilla file folders with a ball peen hammer.
And if the local NAPA or other jobber shops fail to have what you need, check out McMaster-carr (www.mcmaster.com) or Jegs (www.jegs.com)