Bronze Skene Type Chocks?

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
One of the things I really like about our newly purchased E31 Independence is that, as far as I can tell, all the original bronze hardware is still there and functional.
But today I noticed that I only have one of these on the stern rail:

IMG_0949 crop.jpg
It's on the starboard side. Seems like there should be one on the port side, so the wood toe rail doesn't wear.

Does anyone know who made these originally? Or is my best bet find something close on eBay?
Sadly, North Alabama does not have much in the way of a marine salvage type store to scrounge through, so that's not an option.

Navman

Member III
Wooden boat magazine on line has many advertisers who carry bronze marine products. I am sure you can find a match there.
Good Luck

~~ _/) ~~

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And, after finding some chocks to consider, also look at the particular casting detail. When I was looking for chocks for our boat I found that about 70% of the ones on the market had a 90 degree cast edge to chafe the mooring line. Seems crazy, but way too common. I found some perfect Schaefer ones, but they are SS, and you would not want them on your EY model.
Some searching may be in order.
My takeaway on this is that most "chocks" are intended to protect the deck edge (a good thing) but not designed to prevent chafe in the mooring line (very bad thing).
In-use view of mine: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/ss-deck-chocks-added.742/

Last edited:

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren and peaman.

Yeah, definitely looking for bronze. Have seen some on eBay that are about the right size, but they're not cheap.
Port Townsend Foundry has an almost exact match on their website. We'll see if that's affordable.

I'll keep looking. Thanks guys.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Nice. But I do like the looks of the Port Townsend stuff. It is very close to what's on there now.
We'll see what their quote says.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Might be pretty slick to replace those with some Port Townsend in-rail chocks...

In-Rail-Chock-9.jpg

In-Rail-Chock-6.jpg

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
I saw those. Very nice.
Hmm, can I make myself cut a chunk out of the toe rail? In four different places? I mean, they have to match all the way around, right?