Rhicke

My gear shift mechanism broke inside Sea Bjorn's, E30+, binnacle tube. It's a plastic part in the shaft where the wheel meets the inside of the binnacle. It's the part that sends both the transmission (port) and throttle (starboard) controls down the binnacle. Anyone have an idea on how to replace that part? The lever has required a heavy hand for the 10 months I've owned her. Thanks, Robert

Guy Stevens

Having a hard time pictuiring which part

Can you take a photo?

I have some sources for various parts, but I don't understand which part is broken from your description.

Thanks,
Guy
:)

Rhicke

Thanks Guy

I did a poor job describing it. I'm told the part is "pot mettle" and the broken piece is just part of a much larger part. It the entire part into which the throttle and gear shifter attach.

Here is a photo (if it attaches),
Robert

Attachments

• IMG00175.jpg
    IMG00175.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 81

Sven

Seglare
That picture is actually of the underside (needed to show what broke). There is a y-shaped fixture which bolts to the broken leg in the picture (right side where you can see the snapped material with half a bolt-hole).

I have no idea where you can get the part or how to make a new one but when we changed our shifter cable it was amazing. I had no idea a shifter could be that smooth and light fingered. Of course, it took us 6 hours (literally) for the two of us to get the job done while being in impossible positions throughout.

Good luck with it.

-Sven

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

There was someone casting new ones

Out of aluminum...

I spoke with him probably 2 years ago. Let me see what I can find....

Guy
:)