Boomkicker

ref_123

Member III
I was thinking about a boomkicker for our 32-3 long and hard and finally got sold on Garhauer solid vang - it's $180 more expensive but for a peace of mind it's not outrgageously too much...

Regards,
Stanly

jgarmin098

Member II
I went with the boomkicker on my 32-3. Am very pleased with the operation and ease of install. And the curve of it allows me to open the deck hatch located just aft of the mast.

I have a buddy who put one on his Caliber 33. I would estimate the mainsail dimensions to be similar to the E-38. He has had no problems in the 8 years it's been on his boat.

boethius27

Member II
Perhaps a silly question, but just what does a boomkicker do?

I have to look like a newbie learning these things somewhere, might as well be here :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Vang thoughts

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5926&referrerid=28
A boomkicker is one style of solid or "rod" vang.
Why use the word "kicker?" The older name for a boom vang was a "kicking strap."

Within this prior "rod vang" thread are links to related threads, some with pictures.

Great device to have, IMHO. It holds up the boom and eliminates the boom topping lift. The vanging down force is also important to shaping the sail. :nerd:

Loren

Last edited:

newgringo

Member III
BoomKicker on E32-3 OK

I just installed a K1000 BoomKicker on our boat. Ended us using the smallest diameter rods in the original factory supplied length. Works well. One suggestion. I built a stainless steel bracket to attach to the mast instead of drilling into the mast slot track cover. Just did not want to take any chance of drilling into a wire. I have drawings and photos, email me and I will send. Also the BK folk are very helpful.