Boat Stands Components

Steve Swann

Member III
Where can I find a complete 1 7/16" Acme thread boat stand center shafts? I have difficulty paying $130-170 (the latter is WM price) each for boat stands and would like to build some, hopefully for a lot less!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Have you tried contacting Brownells Boat yard in southeast MA? They manufacture all the boat stands around here (and sell them for much less than WM, by the way).

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Stands

Steve- I have 4 low-boy jack stands that you can use. Pay the shipping and use them for ?. I dont want to sell them, but I really will not use them, but I'm a collector. They are in-use for about another 45 days. I bought a trailer and thats where I'll winter in the future. These stands are perfect for a E-25 CB. Rob Hessenius

Steve Swann

Member III
jack Stands

Thanks, Rob for the offer, but I think I want to own my own set. I'll check out your suggestion of where to buy components. FYI, I have 3 boats on trailers in back of my shop (E25 and 2 Nor'sea's) and I will need to be lifting and adjusting boats with some alarming regularity, hence the need for my own set.

Supporting E25

Steve,
I purchased a boat lift for working on my E25. I just recieved it and the plan is to install it over the boat and trailer with basically four well anchored/braced posts. The manufacturer says that they work on boats with this lift inconjucation with 2 X 6 bracing underneath the hull. I'm thinking of building a cradle out of wood though.
I thought about buying boat stands, but found two things daunting, first was the prospect of getting the boat onto the stands without a crane, etc. I understand about jacking the front and back of the trailer up, but this is a dangerous proposition in my opinion, or at least very time consuming. Second was and still is supporting the hull adequatly. The stands aren't designed to take the full weight, nor is the hull meant to be stressed this way. Sailboats are designed to be stood on there keels, and the stands are simply a type of bracing. What makes more sense to me than stands for a centerboard design is a cradle that holds the weight at strategic places (bulkheads), and then a bunker board connecting along and probably slightly above the line of lead balllast. I found one refrence on the web to a guy who did this with his centerboard boat and used two cradles of slightly different sizes to allow going over the missed areas. How long can a boat be stored at less than optimium conditions of support I'm not sure, and have looked around the web for clues but have found little information. I hope you catalog your boat lifting and handling here for future lake sailors like you and I that don't have commercial boat hauling services available. I'll also try and post an account of my boat hanging! Regards, Chris

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Chris, are those intended to be mounted to an existing I-beam structure or something? What are you mounting it to?

Nate,
I'm mounting to five inch steel beams between four posts but the other kits they offer are for wooden overhead beams - joists. They do sell a motor cover for exposed aplications without a roof like mine. You can also buy a gear reduction which doubles the work load. I'm thinking they could double things up for much bigger boats. I purchased six inch wide slings to reduce hull stress for prolonged hanging. - Chris

Steve Swann

Member III
Thanks, Chris, for posting your source for a lift. I have enough boat project work sitting in my back pastue that I think I'll bite the bullet and be doing something along these lines, too.

gjersvik

Member II
Another way to lift the E-25

I also dealt with a number of ways to lift the E-25 so I could replace the keel. After numerous attempts I settled on the following. :egrin:

Actually, my friend was a crane operator so this rental only cost a case of moderately priced wine. :egrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Weight Lifting.jpg
    Weight Lifting.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 69