Bilge Question

landh5

Being a new owner and learning by doing, I have discovered that my 1988 32-200 still has the two identical original PAR 37202 bilge pumps, one main and one for shower bilge. The main pump has NO float switch and is controlled on the main DC panel. The shower pump controller by a float switch wired to the Auto/Off/On swtich in head which is wired to the pressuried water switch on main DC panel. I have operated these pumps and I have noticed both to run smoothly even if dry.
After cleaning the main bilge, I turned on the pump. It now seems to run normally for a few seconds pulling water followed by a loss in pull, some bubbling and what is a straining sound as though it is under severe strain on the pump at which time I switch it off. The line from the bildge to the pump is clear (I can blow through hose from the pump). The filter located just before the pump is clear. The shower pump does not do this and continuing sounding normal even when dry pumping.

I have opened the main pump to examine and reassembled, and tested with same results. Concluding the need to rebuild or replace the pump in the long term, I thought I would at least have some short term capabilities by switching the lines so the main bilge line leads to the pump for the shower and shower bilge leading to the old Main pump.

Much to my surprise, now the Shower pump has the same problems and the main pump runs smoothly.

I need a course in BILGE 101 or what ?

Any advise is greatly appreciated !

Harry the Explorer

rwethereyet

Inactive Member
32-200 Shower Sump Location

My shower sump "auto" feature failed, but is working via the manual switch. I can't find the shower sump on my 1990 32-200. My original owners manual, unfortunately isn't for my boat, great!! Anyone out there with a clue...hopefully!

landh5

Shower Sump 1988 32-200

Interesting:

My shower drain leads the short distance to the first bilge access point (the cover furtherest aft at base of compaionway ladder) and when this cover is pulled, there are two sides to the area. The shower side (starboard) has an access point where the shower drains. There is also a float switch on this side (shower drain). The pickup hose with strainer rests in this area. The takeaway hose leads under the sole and comes up into the engine compartment where both of my bidge pumps are mounted. The pumps are on the starboard wall with the main pump closest and the shower pump tucked deeper into the engine compartment. Both pumps are Par Model 37202-200 (electric diaphram as opposed to submersible) with a strainer devices located on the hose before it enters the pump itself. Good luck !

oceandreams89

Member II
Did you clean the garbage from the filter housings also? I have had items plug the actual blue plastic housing that the clear plastic filter screws on to. I had some severe plugs once where I had to remove the entire filter from the line and flush it at the sink to remove the obstructions. If they were working correctly just prior to your cleaning of the bilge / shower sump, I would highly doubt the pumps are the problem. If they are really straining under load I have always found some kind of obstruction somewhere in the line.

Did you back flush the hoses as well? Put a garden hose on the hoses before and after the pump gard filter and see if you can blow anything out of there.

Best of luck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"about Par for the course"

It appears that Ericson was buying these $pendy Par pumps by the truckload, with their OEM discount, of course, in the 80's!
Our '88 Olson came with the same two pumps, one for "bilge" and one with the switch in the head/shower compartment for "shower".

Since our boat has such a shallow bilge, both float switches and pump pickups are located in the central bilge area (along with the pickup for the cockpit-mounted Gusher hand pump).
Editorial comment: Ya don't find that kind of thoughtful redundancy in cheapo boats... ;)

I have replaced one with a newer version from Par when the old pump died. Those Rule float switches, OTOH, have the half-life of a gnat!
:rolleyes:

Note that these pumps make up for a lower GPM by denying back-siphoning due to their being a diaphram type of pump. We have never had a panel switch or filter plugup problem, and have accidently run one of them for over a half hour, dry, when a float switch switch malfunctioned while we were motoring -- it took us a while to figure out what that odd rumble was over the diesel engine noise!
:D

Loren

Last edited: