Bigger headsail for E29?

pr0ject2501

Hey gang,
First post here. I'll be looking for a larger headsail for my E29. I had, what I'm assuming to be, the standard size jib but it has been re-cut and is a little smaller now. I only have that jib and my main. What size/type of sail do you recommend for attempting any downwind speed?

Notes:
1973 E29
San Diego = light wind
Small budget

Thank you all for any advice.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Standard is not standard

In order to help you, we need to know what size you think you have to begin with-as there is no "standard" size.

Do you have an overlapping genoa, or a working jib (which roughly is equal in size to the foretriangle)?

For cruising in San Diego, I would think you would want something around 125%-135% as your workhorse sail, and something smaller for really breezy days.

A "full sized" genoa will be around 150-155%, and this is what a racer would use most of the time, but once you get to about 12-15 knots of wind, this is a bit too much for comfortable and efficient sailing. This is why a compromise of about 130 (ish) makes sense for a cruiser. Still, once you get into the high teens/low 20's, you will want that smaller jib, which I hope is what you have.

There are tons of posts here on this topic, so do a search, but if you can let us know what you have know I might be able to help more.

I have several posts describing how to measure sails and determine the size, so you may want to look those up as well..

Happy Trails!