Best way to cut a stainless bolt

corkhead

Julian Ashton
The deck organizer has siezed and I cannot remove one of three bolts holding on the deck. What is the best way to cut it off?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
If you can get to it I really like a Dremel with the reinforced cutting wheels. Works like a charm. Once you own a Dremel, you won't know how you lived without it. RT

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I know I should probably own a dremel, but don't.

But what I would do is take a good drill bit a little bigger than the diameter of the bolt in question, and lots of cutting oil, and start drilling from the top at low speed. In this case you only have to get the head off, and then you should be able to slide the organizer up and off. You can probably get the remains of the bolt off at that point with some vice-grips.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
You could also drill it if you have a straight shot with the drill. Centerpunch the head dead center (or as close as possible). Drill straight down with a small drill bit, then progressively larger until the head pops off. You only need to go in the depth of the head of the bolt

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You could also use an old Phillips screwdriver, some duct tape, and a piece of a brick and pound on the old stainless bolt until you chip off enough metal to get the piece off.

Or, you could just get a $40 Dremel, the right tool for this job and lots of others! Definitely get a plug-in model, the battery-powered ones are not as powerful, don't last long enough on a charge for boatmetal work, and self-discharge so they aren't ready when you need them.

Dferr

Member II
Not sure of this, but aren’t the deck organizer through bolted? And if so, isn’t there a nut on the other side?

corkhead

Julian Ashton
cutting stainless bolt

thanks all, I have a couple options now!!

there is a nut on the inside of the boat but it is FROZEN in place, the other 2 came off easily, par for the course.
julian

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I'd think drilling the head off a stainless bolt would be very tedious, and get expensive as you burned up bits. Any attempts I've made at working stainless with metal edge tools have ended in frustration. I think a metal cutting wheel on a dremel or grinder is the way to go.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you can hold the nut and turn the bolt with a breaker bar, it will sheer.

The trick to drilling SS is to use a sharp carbide bit. I usually start slow with a lot of pressure to start it biting. Once you are into the metal it should drill all the way through. Use plenty of oil to keep it cool. The heat buildup is what kills the bit and hardens the stainless. Once that happens, it will be very difficult to drill/cut.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
If you can hold the nut and turn the bolt with a breaker bar, it will sheer.

The trick to drilling SS is to use a sharp carbide bit. I usually start slow with a lot of pressure to start it biting. Once you are into the metal it should drill all the way through. Use plenty of oil to keep it cool. The heat buildup is what kills the bit and hardens the stainless. Once that happens, it will be very difficult to drill/cut.
Thanks for the tips. Where do you get carbide drill bits?

Nate,
Cutting oil, carbide bits ( & alternatively, cobalt bits) are all availabe at your local big box home center or hardware store. They're usually sold individually, not in sets. You'll see why at check-out, but you should only need one if you're steady with the drill.

corkhead

Julian Ashton
OK it's off.
It was easier than I thought. Hacksaw with a metal cutting blade, 2 minutes cut the head right off the bolt. Thanks again.