Ballast

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I want to add some ballast to the port side of my 89' E 38-200 as I have about a 3 degree starboard list. Thinking 150-200 lbs may do it. Question is where is the best place to get it? A dive shop perhaps? I want to use lead and may try glassing it into 50 lb increments, then once I am happy with the list determine a way to strap it in. I dont really want to permanently attach it as things change and I may want to remove it at some point. Problem is I have too much stuff to starboard and no easy way to get more of it to port. Also I don't have the 40 gal. port water tank. The watertank was displaced (no pun intended) by and ac unit. All of my batteries, holding tank, 22 gal water tank, cockpit storage locker are to starboard. I doubt I can entirely correct the problem with lead, as I would need probably a lot more than I want to use, but I hope to at least improve the current situation by a degree or 2.

Thanks

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
No answer, but I am wondering if listing affects the performance of a boat, or is it just a matter of esthetics? Certainly adding 300 lbs of lead anywhere but the keel is not going to help performance.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I agree but on the other hand 3 degrees of list has to be effecting performance on both tacks. Its like going upwind with 2-3 guys always on one side of the boat. Ideal solution would be to move the batteries to the port side but that aint happening this summer. I'de also like to add a bladder type water tank over there but have not yet figured out how I can do it with the AC unit and ducting running on that side. Lead should be a relatively easy fix even if it is only temporary.

Mikebat

Member III
Try this link, not sure it will work, but it shows me listings on eBay for "lead weights". http://search.ebay.com/lead-weights_W0QQfkrZ1QQfnuZ1QQfromZR8

There's 40 lbs. of scrap lead going for 15 bucks.

Here's a source for lead pigs, 25 lb bars. are $57.50.
http://www.pollardwater.com/emarket/pages/P64301lead.asp

Keep in mind, when you decide you don't need the lead anymore, it is considered hazardous waste. You might be able to give it to a dive shop, since they often melt scrap lead into molds for the dive weights.