Guest viewing is limited

Backup GPS recommendations

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I need a AA battery backup GPS in case the chartplotter or house bank fails ( even though even a nearly dead house will still run a GPS).

The handheld Garmin GPS 78sc is the current candidate. It gets mixed user reviews on Amazon, but so, it seems does everything else.

Anyone have a 78/ 78s / 78sc, or a recommend competitor?

(Laptops or Ipads don't work for me on boats)

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I use a 78s as my primary GPS. It's good. Not great. I replaced my olfd b and w Garmin 76 which was more intended for marine use. The 78's default units in Mile per hour (took me a while to chnage to knots) and there is no anchor drift alarm like the 76 had. Also the 78 has options for geo cache??? Who does that anymore?
I keep my 76 as a backup and for when I anchor.

Gregoryulrich

Member III
I've had a Garmin etrex legend for years. I bought it for back country camping but now I use it as a back up on board the boat. It works fine with the Blue Charts, it's very accurate, waterproof and inexpensive. The boat came with a Garmin 182C but no card so it's nice that I can use the same mapping software across both platforms.

The downside is the small screen and clunky software navigation common to most small handheld gps units.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Cheap but functional is my Garmin C60 sx. It has been on my motorcycle on 1000's of miles of rugged off road dual sport riding in rain, heat, dirt, mud and major vibration.

Also taken it off shore multiple times as a backup.

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
I got the Garmin GPSMAP 78sc. I can't think of anything I don't like about it. A wish list item would be a bigger screen, but I find the screen on it clear and easy to read even in bright sunlight. I use it on a Ram Mount on the pedestal guard https://www.dropbox.com/s/gttghyigvu54o5g/Rammount78sc.png. It does have an anchor drag alarm and other proximity alarms.

If you already have compatible charts on a chip, just get the 78s, which does not have built in charts, but keeps the compass. I used OpenCPN on my laptop to create routes and transfer them to the Garmin, no problem.

BTW, Here is some information you specifically asked not to hear - I like using my laptop at the nav station and the Garmin at the helm. The PC is usually only in use for an hour or less, so it is running on it's own battery with a GPS puck (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PKX2KA/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), it is really great with OpenCPN.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, those are good for rescue.

This scenario is: far offshore, engine won't run, house bank dies. Where am I?

All I want is GPS lat and long to mark on a paper chart.

Sailboats with problems can usually sail. Even if dismasted you can jury rig. But boat electronics are (very) fallible and so is engine charging.

Peace of mind is a Costco slab of AA Duracells that can tell you exactly where you are.

Solar could do it too, with considerable more complication.

Added: Turns out that there is an optional AA battery pack for the Horizon VHF/GPS that Adam mentions. I think this might be a good solution, and nothing wrong with having another VHF with DSC for the same dough.

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
Smartphone with gps app ?

I have the navonics app its pretty good. both iphone and android versions
Will work without cell service or data.
I also have inav.
I put a usb charger for the boat along with a gps antenna for my laptop

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good one. I have Navionics and use an iPhone 4 on board, for music as well as telephone. I also have installed a car charger for the iPhone, but of course it's on the house bank.

An iPhone can also be charged with a AA battery pack, but according to user reports, not with alkaline batteries, which lack quick-charge ability.

However, with disposable Lithium AAs, one user reports about 2 full iPhone charges per pack of 4 lithium AAs.

A fairly brutal review of the Navionics Ap is here: http://sailing.about.com/od/equipme...kes-Boating-Gps-Navigation-App-For-Iphone.htm

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
For iPhone and iPad?

Christain, if you are wanting a backup for those situations your iPhone with a good case and GPS capabilities should do.

I have both an iPad and iPhone that I take onboard. Both are loaded with the app "GPS Nautical Charts" that I purchased.

This program is fantastic and acts as a chart plotter with charts worldwide. I used it crossing the Gulf of Mexico and in the British Virgin Islands where it functioned flawlessly. I even hung my iPad from the Bimini frame at the helm.

My iPhone is in a Lifeproof Case that I have shot underwater video with, so it's waterproof for sure. Changing batteries in a lifeboat would be another issue.

We listen to Pandora most of the time on the phone at the helm (even though I'm in the music business). You have to open the charging door on the bottom to hear well with the case. Give me early jazz any day////
Rick

Ike

Member I
I think any of the eTrex series makes for a great backup GPS. I used an eTrex legend for back country use for over 10 years and it was a very reliable unit. You'll also be able to get SOG and a heading out of it, and an ability to set waypoints at regular intervals to check that your compass course and course steered agrees with your plotted course on the paper charts. IMO you really don't need anything more than that, anyhow :nerd:

cheers
Ike

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I can also use my iPhone 4S as a back up GPS it has a "Lifeproof" case and a wrist float in case I drop it overboard. There is a free app that's pretty good called "Motion X GPS", I have another version for the Car called "Motion X Drive" that I use all the time. http://gps.motionx.com

As far as charging, I have a lighter adaptor that runs off the house bank. I also have a Mophie Power Station Juice Pack that I keep in a dry pack. Good for multiple re charges.
http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-4s-4/powerstation-smart-phones-tablets

My main GPS for the boat is a 12 year old Magellan Meridian Marine, which has all the aids to navigation pre loaded, but probably a bit dated now. It is also waterproof and it floats. I can't tell you how many times I have dropped this thing, it's indestructible, but it goes through AA batteries like crazy, so I have a hard wire connection to the house bank, as well as interfaced via NEMA to my Tiller Pilot and DSC VHF.

I have not seen the need for a expensive chart plotter for the limited coastal cruising I do. I used that old Magellan Meridian Marine to sail up from San Diego and numerous trips to Catalina.

Footnote:
"MotionX GPS was designed by sailor/inventor/entrepreneur Philippe Kahn and was used by Kahn during his record setting Transpacific Run. The app has a virtual compass for navigation and a stopwatch to record time, distance, speed and average pace. It lets you email your tracks and waypoints with your photos so they can be viewed on Google Earth and Google Maps. It’s also available in MotionX GPS Lite."

I sail Econo. :egrin:

Last edited: