Atomic 4 - in place over haul...

Thursty30

Member II
The motor pulling saga continues... yard couldn't "safely" get a fork lift to my boat until one of my neighbors launches, and in keeping with my luck, both of my neighbors are for sale. I resorted to tearing it down in the cockpit. Have to go back this weekend with the stud puller, valve spring compressor and a couple other tools. The Moyer Marine Manual has been invaluable, can't recommend it enough for any one with an A4. The empty block should be light enough for me to figure out how to get it on the ground.

Progress picks below... gross :crying:.

Glad I decided to completely re-build. Already obvious I will be replacing most of the components, so I am going to re-build it my self. Ill let the machine shop boil the block, blast/machine all the other cast parts. As long as they don't tell me I have to scrap the head/manifold/block I can still bring it home on budget and on time including all the upgrades from indigo electronics (except the FWC set-up). I have already started shopping for a replacement motor in case the worst case becomes a reality.

The plumbing and electrical systems will have to wait. I am about half way through the port light rehab, Teak for the companionway hatch is back ordered so that's on a back burner too, going to have to buy a new stove to accommodate all these half finished projects pretty soon :lol3:. Also started creating some foam plugs to build fiberglass deck hatches.

20170506_142734.jpg

p.gazibara

Member III
Not sure where you are sailing, or how much time you spend motoring, but I would strongly consider going electric if you only used the motor to get in/out of the marina.

Unless of course, you like maintanence/winterizing ;)

Thursty30

Member II
Not sure where you are sailing, or how much time you spend motoring, but I would strongly consider going electric if you only used the motor to get in/out of the marina.

Unless of course, you like maintanence/winterizing ;)

I have pretty extensive cruising plans, not the least of which is motoring from Chicago to the gulf as the first leg. I don't think that an electric set up is efficient, or even viable for my ambitions. If all goes well, this motor wont be winterized for many years.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
What technique did you use for lifting it?

How did you get the engine into the cockpit? Using a block and tackle or come-along attached to the boom supported by the topping lift?

I'll be swapping out my 1GM with a replacement next month and will probably go that route. But that engine is half the weight (or less) than your A4.