Articles in Good Old Boat Magazine

u079721

Contributing Partner
I was going through the web site for Good Old Boat Magazine and noticed that they have a review of the Ericson 27 scheduled for the September/October issue of this year, and a review of the Ericson 23 scheduled for the November/December issue.

Reserve your issue now! (Or maybe just subscribe to the magazine?)

u079721

Contributing Partner
Why not review it yourself?

If you have a 32 or 34, why not review it yourself? Most of the articles in GOB are written by everyday sailors like me, and I have written several for them. That's what makes the magazine special, lots of articles by fanatical enthusiasts who know a lot about their favorite unusual topic.

Contact Karen and see if they would be interested in another Ericson review, and for advice on how to go about it.

Bardo

Member II
I don't have an E 32 or 34. But I am very interested in both, and in the market to buy, so thats why I would love to see a good review of both.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Where's an Authority when you need one?

One caveat about print magazine reviews...
While they are, usually, more refined (hopefully edited!) than the comments you might find on a volunteer participation site like this, they will always reflect the personal biases of the author. Depending on the author, that may be exactly what you need, though.
;)
I know that you know that, but still.... whether it's the supposedly "unbiased" version in Practical Sailor and PBO, or an obviously slanted "ad in thin disguise" in Sail/CW, you should apply some perspective and even skepticism to 'em all.

:egrin: One could edit together a VERY comprehensive overview of the whole mid-range of Ericson-built boats, by design family even, from just the threads on this site.

I have pondered how to do just that, but there are issues with permissions from multiple authors and the everyday difficulity of editing when you do not have any agreed-upon style guide from owners you've never met...
(confession: I used to write and edit a OD class newletter and a local YC newsletter for a while.)

The good news about a review from a long-term happy Ericson owner is that you can be 98% he/she never wrote it for mere $$. I find the articles in GOB very helpful and interesting, as do others here.

This thread raises some interesting points.
I once wrote longish reviews of three different sail boats for the old SailNet. After that business went broke and the site was sold, I lost all control of my words. No harm, really... but a bit frustrating. On some level, everything on the 'net is like an out-of-control "wiki." :rolleyes:

My .02 worth, on a rainy morning in Portland
Loren

ps: we do subscribe to GOB, PBO, Sailing, and Practical Sailor

Last edited:

CaptDan

Member III
"One caveat about print magazine reviews...
you should apply some perspective and even skepticism to 'em all."

Excellent points, Loren.

If one were to compare two sides of the boat review paradigm - 'PS' on one, 'Sail' on the other - you'd have what I call 'Crack in The Hull' and 'Crack in the Door Sill' respectively.

Rather than go into a boring description of what I mean, suffice it to say vested interest is often inversely proportional to objectivity. But vested interest doesn't always mean presenting the latest 1/2million dollar yacht - whose company provides hefty cashflow to the publishers - in the best light.
It can also mean protecting 'creds' by jaundiced approach.

That's why I've found, in the many reviews of good old boats in GOB I've read, there's a consistent middle ground without any pretentions towards either agenda. The reviewers tend to mitigate owner bias without going overboard into 'what-if' scenarios. Even better, the venerable and objective Ted Brewer offers his views from an NA viewpoint, comparing the reviewed vessels to others in their class.

Still, the most valuable opinions come from those who own the boats, because if you can obtain enough of them, you're quite likely to obtain a good measure of truth.

My three pennies, and like you say, worth about that much. :egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
"Unbiased and no Axe to Grind Reviews"

Reading this thread brings to mind a friend that sent me a review of used 30 foot boats available.......printed in Practical Sailor......this was a few years back and I still have the article in my northern home......

They berate the Seidelmann 299 and 30 as absoloute JUNK.....quote owners that wish they had never seen them.....

Well...I owned one for 26 years.....starting out brand new.....yes...there were problems...and while they praised the Ericson in that size range, and I have read the threads here....it makes me ask "is there a production boat that does not have some problems....and are they related to time....misuse...neglect....."

There have been many articles in PS that have turned me off over the years, and I fully must agree with Loren.....carefully research all information....know from whence it comes...and if possible from whom.....

It really makes one appreciate the wealth of information on this site......

Thanks to all who have unknowingly helped me imeasurably.....

CaptDan

Member III
Reading this thread brings to mind a friend "is there a production boat that does not have some problems....and are they related to time....misuse...neglect....."

Any boat can have problems - the biggest one usually named on the ownership papers - present and past.

There are plenty of vessels berated in print, trashed by dock admirals, yet used and doted over by owners who love and sail them within their design limitations. There are expensive, shiny new boatshow queens, whose systems deteriorate, engines becoming problematic within a few short years of neglect.

And what about the great classics of yore - the one-offs designed and built for the well heeled original client? How many stories have been written about those Sparkman & Stephens, Alden, Herreshoff, and Rhodes beauties, whose subsequent careers brought them to ignomious misfortune, or as furniture for Neptune's living room?

And there are the survivors, built strongly, able to prevail through time and misadventure. Ericsons certainly fall into this catagory, but even some of them have come to grief, scrapped and entombed in the landfill.

Despite all the opinions and subjectivity, in the end, a boat's log is a reflection of the sailors standing watch.

Or not.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"