Anyone use battery-powered "generators?"

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Our electrical needs shouldn't be extensive when living on the hook, or mooring ball. No air conditioning, and the on-board heater is engine powered. We have two lead acid 12v batteries, 55amp alternator, two 100-watt solar panels, and the main power draws will be the 12v fridge, some 12v fans, the water pump and electric head. Our 13-day trip on the Long Island Sound in August will have us bouncing between mooring balls, anchorages and docks with power. Didn't want to resort to a portable gas-powered generator for the days/nights without AC power, so am taking a look at this:

It'll mainly be used for making coffee; watching a couple hours of TV (maybe); using non-12v fans, charging phones, tablets, lights, our Torqeedo battery; and might be needed if the admiral wants to blow dry her hair. Should be easy enough to recharge during the dock days, and also comes with 200w solar panels to recharge in the wild. Anyone have experience with this, or something similar, on a boat?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Our electrical needs shouldn't be extensive when living on the hook, or mooring ball. No air conditioning, and the on-board heater is engine powered. We have two lead acid 12v batteries, 55amp alternator, two 100-watt solar panels, and the main power draws will be the 12v fridge, some 12v fans, the water pump and electric head. Our 13-day trip on the Long Island Sound in August will have us bouncing between mooring balls, anchorages and docks with power. Didn't want to resort to a portable gas-powered generator for the days/nights without AC power, so am taking a look at this:

It'll mainly be used for making coffee; watching a couple hours of TV (maybe); using non-12v fans, charging phones, tablets, lights, our Torqeedo battery; and might be needed if the admiral wants to blow dry her hair. Should be easy enough to recharge during the dock days, and also comes with 200w solar panels to recharge in the wild. Anyone have experience with this, or something similar, on a boat?
These look like great solutions for exactly what you're describing and a good way to test the waters on a power system upgrade before you dig into your system. An added bonus is being able to take it ashore for the beach BBQ.

12 amps (1440w at 120v) combined with other devices on your boats outlets may overload your AC system. You may be to come up with a solution where you can split the shore power connection before bringing it onboard, add a second 15 amp outlet circuit, or be careful with your appliance usage when charging.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
These look like great solutions for exactly what you're describing and a good way to test the waters on a power system upgrade before you dig into your system. An added bonus is being able to take it ashore for the beach BBQ.

12 amps (1440w at 120v) combined with other devices on your boats outlets may overload your AC system. You may be to come up with a solution where you can split the shore power connection before bringing it onboard, add a second 15 amp outlet circuit, or be careful with your appliance usage when charging.
Thanks for the heads up Nick. Will keep that in mind about appliance usage, though I'm planning to see how well it recharges through the solar panels instead of the AC first.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's quite a sophisticated bit of technology. I hope it works well for you and that you can log back in with some in-use reports.

andy beach

Member I
Also look into Ecoflow. Check the battery chemistry for safety and number of charge cycles. LiFe chemistry batteries have greater number of charge cycles and thus will last longer. LiFe is much safer especially when charging than the Li-ion(think electric bike charging in New York fires).

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Also look into Ecoflow. Check the battery chemistry for safety and number of charge cycles. LiFe chemistry batteries have greater number of charge cycles and thus will last longer. LiFe is much safer especially when charging than the Li-ion(think electric bike charging in New York fires).

Thanks. Bluetti uses LiFePO₄ batteries in this model, so safety and lifespan isn't much of a concern.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interesting unit.

However, I always say the same thing: do you need it? Two good house batteries can often handle cruising use, if there is motoring involved (which there usually is), and if periodic shore-power recharging hookup is planned. And you can always run the alternator while anchored, if necessary.

A third battery reserved for emergency starting allows pushing the house bank low if absolutely necessary.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Interesting unit.

However, I always say the same thing: do you need it? Two good house batteries can often handle cruising use, if there is motoring involved (which there usually is), and if periodic shore-power recharging hookup is planned. And you can always run the alternator while anchored, if necessary.

A third battery reserved for emergency starting allows pushing the house bank low if absolutely necessary.

That's a question I honestly cannot answer yet Christian. We've only been day cruisers so far, and this will be our first extended cruise. Thirteen days from NJ to Block Island, RI, then back. At my marina, she's tethered to shore power every day, and never need to worry about the batteries. Without a dedicated third starting battery, my paranoia of turning the key and hearing nothing but a "click" is registering high, and I'm thinking of ways to mitigate that best I can. (I'm the planner and the worrier about such things, and am married to a "Wing It Wife.") Offloading things like fans, device charging, and the like from the 12v to a "generator" seems like a way to do so. Perhaps it will it end up being overkill. I'm planning a test run of living at the marina for a couple days with shore power disconnected. I think that should give me a good indication. The dedicated starter battery seems like too much work to implement before this trip, but it is definitely going to be added before next season.

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
We installed a 200w solar panel and Victron SmartSolar MPPT solar controller just a few weeks ago. We have two Firefly 110Ah house batteries, plus an AGM starter battery. But more importantly, we have a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor.

Since the installation we have not plugged into shore power. The biggest power draw is a 12v fridge, and we also have LED lights, pressure water, manual head. At the slip, the battery charge level rarely drops below 95% at night, and comes back to 100% each day. On a recent 4 day cruise, we might get down to 90%, recharging phones and running fans, but the batteries would be fully recharged the next day.

Frankly, I was very surprised at how well this works. The battery monitor is very important to seeing how the power system is working. The battery monitor has Bluetooth built in and I can see battery usage and history on a Victron phone app. Likewise the Victron SmartSolar is also Bluetooth enabled, and it also tracks historical data of solar power, just the thing for data nerds.

I think a trial run at the dock without shore power is an excellent idea, and, if you don’t have a battery monitor, I highly recommend one.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just noticed that Radiance (bsangs) has a Torqueedo outboard. I don;t know how long it will take to recharge that from the house bank, because I've never tried it. When going ashore I take the wall outlet charger with me and plug the battery in to whatever 110 current I can find.

On a wall charger my 6-year-old battery takes nearly 12 hours for a full charge. With the available solar accessary, which I don't have, it takes about 20 hours of sunlight.

So on a long cruise, Torqueedo battery recharging may be an issue. There's a fast charger now, which might help.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
I just noticed that Radiance (bsangs) has a Torqueedo outboard. I don;t know how long it will take to recharge that from the house bank, because I've never tried it. When going ashore I take the wall outlet charger with me and plug the battery in to whatever 110 current I can find.

On a wall charger my 6-year-old battery takes nearly 12 hours for a full charge. With the available solar accessary, which I don't have, it takes about 20 hours of sunlight.

So on a long cruise, Torqueedo battery recharging may be an issue. There's a fast charger now, which might help.

That's definitely part of the equation, though I'm planning to recharge the Torqueedo battery on the nights I have shore power. Or in a pinch, from this generator I'm wondering about. It won't be used for much other than ferrying us to and from land during mooring/anchoring days, none of which will be very far away from Radiance.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
That's a question I honestly cannot answer yet Christian. We've only been day cruisers so far, and this will be our first extended cruise. Thirteen days from NJ to Block Island, RI, then back. At my marina, she's tethered to shore power every day, and never need to worry about the batteries. Without a dedicated third starting battery, my paranoia of turning the key and hearing nothing but a "click" is registering high, and I'm thinking of ways to mitigate that best I can. (I'm the planner and the worrier about such things, and am married to a "Wing It Wife.") Offloading things like fans, device charging, and the like from the 12v to a "generator" seems like a way to do so. Perhaps it will it end up being overkill. I'm planning a test run of living at the marina for a couple days with shore power disconnected. I think that should give me a good indication. The dedicated starter battery seems like too much work to implement before this trip, but it is definitely going to be added before next season.
You could buy a jumper cable battery pack for ~$40, if starting the engine is your biggest concern.
When you're under engine power on the boat can you charge your Torqueedo battery?

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
You could buy a jumper cable battery pack for ~$40, if starting the engine is your biggest concern.
When you're under engine power on the boat can you charge your Torqueedo battery?

Yes I can Jeff. I have the 12v charger for the Torq battery. I also have a jump starter battery pack, though I think it cost more than $40.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Yes I can Jeff. I have the 12v charger for the Torq battery. I also have a jump starter battery pack, though I think it cost more than $40.
Then I say, save the $1K and sally forth, Brian. I can't imagine that on your route you'll ever be more than 20 miles from a marina. You can start the engine with a battery pack and charge batteries that way. $1K will buy a lot of diesel. Save some of that dough for Dead Eye Dicks on Block Island. I had an Amazing striped bass dinner there recently. But, sometimes people accuse me of being incautious. Strictly FWIW
Cheers,
Jeff

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Then I say, save the $1K and sally forth, Brian. I can't imagine that on your route you'll ever be more than 20 miles from a marina. You can start the engine with a battery pack and charge batteries that way. $1K will buy a lot of diesel. Save some of that dough for Dead Eye Dicks on Block Island. I had an Amazing striped bass dinner there recently. But, sometimes people accuse me of being incautious. Strictly FWIW
Cheers,
Jeff
Yeah, but coffee Jeff. I don’t like stove top percolator coffee. That’s worth $1k alone.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
French press and pour-over (done right) are very good and only require boiling water. We compromise slightly and use the pour-over plastic cones with paper filters (not quite "right") because the grounds disposal is so much more convenient than French press.
I dislike French Press coffee almost as much as perc, Jerry. I'm a diner coffee guy. If I could bring Flo on board to pour me several cups and refills from Mel's Bunn each morning, I would. (And if the "Alice" reference went over a lot of heads, I apologize for being almost 54.)

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Frankly, I was very surprised at how well this works. The battery monitor is very important to seeing how the power system is working. The battery monitor has Bluetooth built in and I can see battery usage and history on a Victron phone app. Likewise the Victron SmartSolar is also Bluetooth enabled, and it also tracks historical data of solar power, just the thing for data nerds.

I think a trial run at the dock without shore power is an excellent idea, and, if you don’t have a battery monitor, I highly recommend one.
This.
We have a similar setup on Kotona, and after we installed the solar panels, the data that the battery monitor returned was not only eye opening, but gave me great piece of mind. Knowing what is going into and out of the battery bank, over time, with just a few taps on a phone, is so much more comforting.

gabriel

Live free or die hard

Out of curiosity, what is it you don’t you like about a small generator? I’ve started looking at one of the devices you have shown, but I have come to the conclusion that would probably be better served with a small inverter generator like the one made by Honda or Yamaha.I noticed a few people had them running on Catalina island over the holiday and they’re very quiet.