Any hams out there planning to operate Field Day from your boats this year?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just wondering if we have any amateur radio operators among us who also might be planning to operate the ARRL Field Day contest from their Ericsons this year (June 22-23). I'll be heading over to Emerald Bay, Catalina, and putting in a solo effort.

I just got back on the air after about a 40 yr. hiatus. The only times I've operated have been some occasional Field Days I've done with my ham buddies over the years on different boats, always at Emerald Bay. (Emerald Bay has a really nice clear shot to the east.)

Now that I just bought myself a neat little Elecraft KX-2 portable rig I'm anxious to put it through its paces on Field Day. Unfortunately, my friends are not in the area so I'll go it alone this time. But it will still be a hoot.

If any of the rest of you will be participating in FD, let me know and I'll keep an ear out for you! I'll be operating 40-10M, virtually 100% on CW (Morse code), 5W QRP (i.e., low power class). And even if you are not doing FD but if you've set up a ham station on your Ericson maybe we can compare notes about antennas and so forth. I'm still trying to get that all dialed in.

73s
Alan (W6AWG)

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Mayyyyyybe.

I have a 2m handheld on the boat, I may bounce off a few repeaters in the area and see who's listening. I doubt I'll do much more - my "base" is in my office at home and it would be non-trivial to set it up on the boat. But stranger things have happened, you never know.

Bruce (K7BGG)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Ok, Bruce. Well, I certainly won't run into you on 2 meters! :) But if you decide to knock off a few HF QSOs from your home station maybe we will cross paths.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Of course knowing little about amateur radio operations….when I first read the title of this posting I was wondering what canned meats have to do with sailing. :egrin:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I will be operating from my shack using a generator
Rick nn2s
Keep an ear out for me, Rick! I'll be operating in class 1B, which is battery operated class, not charging through a generator. I'll be relying only on the battery recharged by solar panels and not the engine alternator. (I don't run my engine while on the mooring anyway since my 100W panel nicely takes care of my boat's extremely modest power needs.) I'll not have the loudest signal out there since I'll be running only 5W for the low power multiplier to my score. The excellent Catalina location does help, though.

If you will be operating CW then I'll certainly remember to look for NN2S. Since I'll probably make almost no voice contacts I would not expect to see you there.

When my ham buddies and I did Field Day in the past running 5W we made about 450 contacts over the 24 hours. I'll be doing this solo and so may not meet that threshold since at my age I'll probably have to get at least *some* sleep! :p But I'll keep the coffee on! :0305_coff

frick

Member III
Keep an ear out for me, Rick! I'll be operating in class 1B, which is battery operated class, not charging through a generator. I'll be relying only on the battery recharged by solar panels and not the engine alternator. (I don't run my engine while on the mooring anyway since my 100W panel nicely takes care of my boat's extremely modest power needs.) I'll not have the loudest signal out there since I'll be running only 5W for the low power multiplier to my score. The excellent Catalina location does help, though.

If you will be operating CW then I'll certainly remember to look for NN2S. Since I'll probably make almost no voice contacts I would not expect to see you there.

When my ham buddies and I did Field Day in the past running 5W we made about 450 contacts over the 24 hours. I'll be doing this solo and so may not meet that threshold since at my age I'll probably have to get at least *some* sleep! :p But I'll keep the coffee on! :0305_coff
I will be running some CW... Ill be running about 75 watts on my old Ten Tec Omni VI+

Rick nn2s