Any advice on avoiding mould on sails in winter?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
I sail year round in coastal British Columbia, and am again seeing some of those small black mould spots on my sails. I'm requesting any advice on how to avoid these, and how to get rid of them.
I sail whenever reasonable weather allows, and sometimes raise sails at the dock to air them. I flake the mainsail somewhat loosely on the boom to allow some air flow inside the mainsail cover, but that isn't possible on my furling headsail.
I have tried a brief, gentle application of "30 second" algae/mould removal spray, leaving it on the sail for about 5 minutes, light brushing, then water rinse and dry in the sun. That sort of works to get rid of some spots, but I noticed the sail becoming slightly yellowed in some areas, likely due to the bleach in that product.
Our BC climate is quite rainy in the winter, and this year we've had a nasty cold spell as well, so sometimes it's a couple weeks before I can get sailing to ensure they are dry again.
Any thoughts, advice or wisdom would be much appreciated!
Removing the sails and storing them in a dry location over the winter is not an option--I have to be able to go sailing! :)
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have couple of boats in our club with these furled-jib covers.
Owners seem to like them. And with the small line tightened up that tightens around the "sock" they seem to resist wind chafing. The sail stays dry underneath, I am told.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I use to remove my sails for the "rainy-no wind" months and store them below. Then I would spend more time sailing with friends. Now I find that I am doing more winter racing. So the sails have been staying on and are used more often. I see a big difference in the condition, but more from wear and not mold.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm requesting any advice on how to avoid these, and how to get rid of them
I have the same issue, not sure how to avoid it. I came across this article on the North website awhile back:

When I get new sails (main on order now from Precision, jib next year) I plan on using the old sails on the boat over the winter and keeping the new ones nice and dry at home. But I would only expect to go out once or twice a winter.:(

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have friends that do the informal racing all winter known as SOS (Sailing on Sunday). No trophies, low entry fee to provide for RC boats. Happens about every other Sunday, with a schedule published on-line. Not for us.... with genoa stored at home until spring, and main sail with a double cover on it.
While racing, even casual, is a great excuse to get in some sailing time, I wait until spring to really get interesting in leaving the dock.

Today: Weather starting to slowly warm (way up above us).... ice pellets coming down as of ten minutes ago, with a night of freezing rain expected as we watch the huge surface layer of freezing air gradually dissapate.
:esad: