Another E34 for sale not near me

Dan Hayes

Member III
What a beautiful boat. I really like that boat.

Makes my little E28+ look like the big behinded girl that never gets asked to dance... What a pretty stern, if you don't mind my saying so...

escapade

Inactive Member
priorites

We had Escapade trucked 850 miles to get her home. That was the closest one we could find to our location at the time. E34's are not real common and don't come for sale very often (as compared to Hunters & Catalina's) so you may have to bite the bullet & truck it. BTW, we are VERY glad we did!
Good luck hunting
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

Dan Hayes

Member III
E34

Sean Engle said:
Well, why don't you buy her, and then come out here during the summer - and take her to the islands... During the rest of the year, I could, umm, 'keep an eye on her' for you.... :p

//sse

Actually, a friend of mine is lusting after an Ericson, and I think this is a better boat for someone who would be singlehanding/maybe occasionally doublehanding most of the time. My E28+ is a handful, can't imagine manhandling an E38, which he really likes... I found the thread below interesting, that the hull is identical (with tweaks, of course) to the E35. But what a great layout the E34 has for 34 feet... aft cabin, aft head - and a very usable layout. I just like the way she looks. (Sigh). Well, someday, maybe.

My brother lives aboard in Olympia, Washington, on an aluminum trawler. I'd love to come up this summer or maybe fall, and check out the islands. I've seen some incredible pictures, and it's got to be just terrific up there. Too bad it's only for about four months a year.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our sailing season: not so short

Four months a year? Naw, we boat all year, except during winter storms...
Admittedly it's colder in the winter months, but people still go boating, and sailing. We saw several boats under sail near Seattle and also off Tacoma when I crewed on a delivery from Port Townsend to Olympia, this week (Sunday thru Tuesday). This particular boat did not have heat on board so we were dressed in mucho layers of polypro... (35 to 40 F). :rolleyes:
Both nights were at docks with power for my little old "Heat wave" 110 volt heater, too. ;)

If that boat had possessed a working furnace to go with its dodger, we would have been just fine. There was also a lot of low clouds and some mist yesterday, so the views of the islands were obscured. Darn.

On the whole, all good clean fun!
:)

Loren in Portland

Dan Hayes

Member III
You guys are amazing. We're so spoiled down here in LA land - heck, we have second thoughts about going out if it's even cloudy! Well, some of us do.

Well, now that I have a new digital camera (third one in two months - sailboats and digital cameras don't go together...) I'll take some pictures and torture you guys till spring!

Hope I get a chance to meet you guys up there some time. Still thinking about attending the Strictly Sail show in Oakland in April. If you guys make it, we'll have to get together for a beer.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Dan Hayes said:
... I'd love to come up this summer or maybe fall, and check out the islands...

You should visit us the weekend of June 18th!

//sse

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Transporting

I am very nervous about long distance buying. I have looked at some boats on the chessapeake and also some in Massachusettes. They were much less than the broker described. One boat I was told only needed cosmetics.

What I found:
Many large deep blisters on the hull
All the interior wood around the portslights stained black
Cabin sole stained black
Engine parts loose
Broken furler foil
Shoddy transom repair
Cabin doors swelled beyond closing properly
More water in the cabin than outside the cabin
Bent stanchions

I won't get into the Olson 34 I looked at where the broker flat out lied to me.

I am not ready to travel to the left coast only to be disappointed.

Tim R.