Another Bayliner Story

Jim Mobley

Member II
It was the sailboat's fault ...

:rolleyes:

http://www.apg.army.mil/sibo/quotes1.htm#Q15

Baltimore Sun, 9/18/2000 - from a column by Dan Rodricks: "Will There Be A III ?"

"Temporary Insanity II Impaled on Channel Marker
Near Bay Bridge Marina on Kent Island: Just before 2 a.m., a 1992, 38-ft. Fountain power boat slammed into a fixed, channel marker, ripping a 17-ft. gash in the forward hull & becoming impaled on the steel piling holding the channel marker. A passenger suffered a broken arm & lacerations; a passing boater rescued the two men. DNR police cited the skipper, who "claimed to have been blinded by the lights of a sailboat", for negligence, traveling at an unsafe speed, & failure to maintain a proper lookout.
An alert couple, M.&F. Lobach, happened to visit the Bay Bridge Marina when Temporary Insanity II was being hauled, after the impalement. They reported the boat as a 42-ft. Fountain, otherwise their story matched the Sun's above. The Mariner of September 22, 2000, p.11 reproduced their pictures of Temporary Insanity II."

So, keep your nav lights dim, they impair the navigation ability of the skippers of ridiculously overpowered speedboats. :egrin:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
#!#%*@*ing jet skis!

A New Jersey StA New Jersey State Marine Police boat approaches the sunken sailboat involved in a jet ski accident that resulted in a fatality. The jet ski operator who was operating the craft at night didn't see the sailboat until it was too late.

Attachments

• newsphoto10.jpg
    newsphoto10.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 102

Jim Mobley

Member II
So the skipper of Insanity II is riding home in the rescue boat and thinking, "What am I gonna tell the cops? Let's see, uh, there was this dog, yeah, a little white dog, that ran out right in front of the boat ..."

Fortunately, he had time to come up with something that didn't sound stupid.:devil:

Shadowfax

Member III
I remember the jet ski incident as well. The sail boat was anchored, the owner not aboard and no anchor light was shown. I believe this happened in the Raritan River. I don't recall where the investigation went but the anchor light being required or not seemed to be the issue. The sail boat was apparently left in this location to the point where it was maintained that it was moored, not anchored and thus did not need to be lit. I also think that alcohol was involved with the jet skiers.

Maybe someone closer to the area remembers what actually happened and how it turned out