Annoying Leak

JMCronan

Member II
Well, I have a leak that is very annoying. When it rains the teak bottom of the cabinet just forward of the galley, above the settee, on the port side gets wet. The part that gets wet is the furthest outboard few inches. During our last rain storm I went down to the boat to search for the leak but was not able to locate it. This is what I know: water is not getting in through the port lights, the stanchions, or any other deck fitting.
I guess what I'm asking is; have any other 32 owners had this type of leak and what did you do to fix it?
I wish I were able to take photos but I'm on the left coast and my boat is on the right.
Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Glyn Judson

Chasing down a stubborn leak.

Jack, Next time you're at the boat sprinkle talcum powder, flour or corn starch in the area of the puddling and out in every direction away from it. The next time water gets in there, it'll disturb the light dusting and will reveal the direction of the leak. My first guess would be a nearby chain plate though. Keep us posted. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

I had a similar leak...

in my E28+. It was the through hull in the transom just above the water line for the cockpit drain. The original TH was just a sheet metal pipe through the transom which leaked where the hose from the cockpit was connected. It would also let in water while under power, as the TH would go just below the water line. I replaced it with a bronze TH and the problem is now gone. Just something easy to overlook.

Mark Tuccillo
1983 E28+ "Wing It"

larossa

Member II
Jack,

One other material that you can use to help detect a leak is chalk. I borrowed one of my kid’s big pieces of chalk and chalked up the area I thought the leak was coming far. The chalk darkens when wet. It worked quite well.

Good luck!

Brian
E31 hull #2
Novi, MI

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Jack,

One other material that you can use....
Brian
E31 hull #2
Novi, MI

Another method that has worked for me is to buy a pack of food dyes of different colours. Go to the boat when it is raining, pour some of a different colour at each potential entry point on the deck, and see which colour comes in.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

JMCronan

Member II
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what I find. I won't be back to the boat until early April, so I'll have plenty of time to formulate my method of attack