Anchor Windlass for E-29

J. Barthelmass

About a year ago, I installed a "Quick" brand electric vertical windlass on the foredeck of my 76 E-29. Installation was very straightforward, and I've been very happy with the performance and quality of the windlass to date. Total cost including anchor, bow roller, chain, rode, wiring, & windlass was about $1,000. I did the installation myself, so no labor is included. Here on the west coast, I usually anchor in fairly deep water (I have 100' of chain with 300' of 1/2" line for a main rode), so the windlass gets a pretty good workout. There's nothing nicer than standing on the foredeck and just watching the rode come aboard without working up a sweat.
The bigger problem you'll probably face is how to fit an anchor roller on the bow - I removed, and plugged the openings for, the stock nav lights and installed a bicolor on the pulpit. This allowed me to use an off-the-shelf roller. My opinion is that the windlass is good, but the windlass with a good roller is much better.
I'd be glad to put together some pictures and further info (including what I'd do differently next time) on the installation if you're still interested - drop me a line and let me know.

Bobg

Member I
Anchor Windlass

Hi, I just sent you a E Mail, I too would like to see some pictures Bob G