Anchor rollers

Lew Decker

Member III
The anchor roller on the bow of my 39B has 4 bolts in a tight pattern near the aft end and nothing forward - The roller can be wiggled back and forth because of the slop in the holes and because of the huge mechanical advantage you get by pushing on the anchor end of it - There is no way I will ever use the anchor the way it is, but I can't figure out a way to make the roller more secure short of selling it on eBay and having one custom built - I need to hear from other 39 owners who have solved this problem - There are two vertical plates on the stem fitting drilled to accept shackles, etc., that I can bolt to using a 1" spacer between the plates and the side of the roller - This would strengthen the whole unit but at the risk of placing a side load on a fitting not designed for that - I need some ideas - Thanks for the help -

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
First project I did on my old 39 was to remove the
stemhead fitting, build a custom roller and weld the two
together. The sideplates with the holes you mentioned
were drilled clear through the new metal to enable use
of a fastpin at the sail tack.

Martin

Last edited:

Lew Decker

Member III
bow rollers

Thanks for the response, Martin - I don't suppose you have any pics - I really didn't want to frog up a new stem fitting, but there might not be any other way to mount a bow roller on the 39 and still avoid those sleepless nights - Any other 39 owners care to comment? Pics? Thanks -