Anchor Line Bitter End

Brian Lowman

Member II
While restoring my '73 E25, I discovered that the forepeak anchor line locker has no place to tie the anchor line bitter end. There is no deckhatch access, just a deckpipe and cap.

Maybe it is a holdover from my old powerboat days, but since I will be sailing with inexperienced crew and in shallow water, I would like to attach the line to something secure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian Lowman
S/V Gypsy Rose

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"...don't be bitter..."

Our boat came with an anchor well with a hinged lid. Suffered from the same lack of a place to dead-end the bitter end. I added a SS pad eye to one side, inside the well, near the top. I put a large alum. backing plate in as well. Holding up that plate and putting the nuts on, from within the forepeak required long arms and some creative use of language...

On your model of Ericson, can you do this by accessing the line storage area from inside the forepeak? Is there a door or removable panel?
(Or, can you make a door?)

:)

Best,

Loren

Ray Rhode

Member III
Here is an alternate approach. Before anchoring I flake out the chain and rode that I plan to play out and secure the rode to one of the bow cleats. This way I don't have to worry about the bitter end and don't have to count the rode as I play it out. This could be a big help if sailing shorthanded or with inexperienced crew.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey

Brian Lowman

Member II
Thank you for the replies.

Ray, I like your idea, but with such a small foredeck and not knowing always where I will anchor, I don't think it is practical in my case. I also would worry about my inexperienced crew tripping over the coiled line.

Loren, even though I do not have an anchor locker on deck, I can access the line storage in the forepeak by removing a plywood panel. I think I can find a place in there to anchor a SS pad eye with a big backing plate (per your suggestion) and it will solve my problem.

Thanks again for you replies,

Brian Lowman
s/v Gypsy Rose

enrique

Bitter End

As a compromise I attached a fender to the bitter end.
Havent tested it to see how much line it will float but in about 50' of water it may float enough to retrieve.

Brian Lowman

Member II
Loren, thanks again for your help. I appreciate all of your advice helping me refit my Ericson.

I took out the plywood bulkhead that separated the anchor line storage from the foc'sle. I then reinforced the bulkhead, mounted a stainless steel Wichard u-bolt with backing plate, and now I have a secure place to tie the bitter end of my anchor line.

Thanks again for your help

Brian Lowman
S/V Gypsy Rose