Aluminum Rub Rail [no longer] Available

jkinchley

I am on the verge of becoming an Ericson 38 owner. The only term yet to be negotiated is replacement of the rub rail on the port side of the boat, forward. Owner claims he can't find an exact replacement, and that all the rub rails will likely need to be replaced so they all match. Anyone have any insight on new rub rails or maybe salvage that have the originals.

Last edited by a moderator:

jkinchley

Thanks Mike, this is a great help...and Christian thanks for the original post. I think I'm going to love EY.o!

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
I need to do the same on my E27, just not on top of the list yet. I found a pace that has the exact pattern of rail insert as is on my boat, and chances are it is the same as on your boat. If not they have a number of patterns, and the rails themselves.

I called and talked to them and the guy knew without looking which model of insert I needed. Here is the link.

http://www.wefcorubber.com/extrusions_marine_rub_rails.asp

Bryan

Samham

I need to do the same on my E27, just not on top of the list yet. I found a pace that has the exact pattern of rail insert as is on my boat, and chances are it is the same as on your boat. If not they have a number of patterns, and the rails themselves.

I called and talked to them and the guy knew without looking which model of insert I needed. Here is the link.

http://www.wefcorubber.com/extrusions_marine_rub_rails.asp

Bryan

Did you end up buying from your rubrail inserts from Wefco? How did it turn out and do you know which pattern you bought?
Thanks

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Did you end up buying from your rubrail inserts from Wefco? How did it turn out and do you know which pattern you bought?
Thanks

I have not done this yet. Sadly my boat needed so much TLC that rub rail was far down the list. Next year. I do not recall the insert that matched my track, but if you have a piece of what is on your boat it is pretty easy to compare it to what they have on their website. I talked to them on the phone so do not have an email or anything, but the guy I spoke with knew exactly what I needed.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I may have some original E38 rub rail available in the next few months, since I plan to replace it with the same Taco product.

The stuff is impossible to ship, so short lengths only unless you can drive to Los Angeles.

Phil Grow

Used aliminum rub rail

I may have some original E38 rub rail available in the next few months, since I plan to replace it with the same Taco product.

The stuff is impossible to ship, so short lengths only unless you can drive to Los Angeles.

If you have a good 4 to 5 foot section I would be interested in purchasing it. How can I contact you?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Phil,

You can send a private message to any forum member. Click on user name. Some of us provide a direct email address there too.

I will eventually have a big supply of aluminum rub rail in very good condition, and anybody can have what they need merely by sending me a mailing tube with return postage.

I'd say my rub rail replacement project is a month away.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For those who have inquired, the Taco aluminum rub rail remains back-ordered. It will get here eventually.

At that point I will have old Ericson rub rail sections available and will make them available here.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Update on rub rail availability Jan 2017

I now have several good sections, 7' max, of Ericson aluminum rub rail for those who need it.

On Tuesday, I will remove one 37' continuous section (the starboard side). Anybody who can drive to Marina Del Rey (SoCal) that day can have as long a piece as they can transport. The rest is up for grabs for all.

To get a rub rail section, PM me for my home address (click on user name).

Obtain a mailing tube of the length you want and send me the tube along with prepaid return.

The rail is pretty light, less than a pound a foot. Several sections could fit in an appropriate tube.

Use UPS please, it's convenient for me. And USPS can be a disaster. It took three months for USPS to deliver 5' of rub rail to San Francisco last time, and both of us had to go the the post office more than once to complain and institute searches.

There's no charge.

[As far as I know, there's only one profile of Ericson aluminum rub rail, shown here. I'm replacing it with the same Taco product shown in the blog.]

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Folks,

As of today I'm out of original factory Ericson aluminum rub rail sections. My scrap is now sailing on four other boats, which is sorta partial reincarnation I guess. Would have been five, had not thieves intercepted one shipment.

There is currently no other source for the original, but total replacement in aluminum is possible with a Taco product described here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?280-Ericson-32-3-Aluminum-Rub-Rail-Replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddsn0LWTrAE