Alpha Marine autopilots?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello All,
I was on a Niagara 35 today that had a Alpha Marine Systems www.alphamarinesystems.com autopilot installed. It was recently electronically updated but still using the original linear drive, etc. and working flawlessly. Not too bad from a system that was new in 1984.... While the control panel design is a bit antiquated it appears from my brief research that these things are true bluewater bulletproof units.

I have an Autohelm 4000ST wheelpilot we have nicknamed the "wandering pilot" that has recently taken to just shutting down whenever it feels like it. While decent going to weather its performance is just awful reaching and worse downwind. Raymarine seemed the only option for a belowdecks linear drive system and I don't really care for Raymarine. The owner of the Niagara stated the Alpha locks on course and just stays there, rock solid, no matter the sail trim or sea state.

I can get over the "70's styling" if these things are as robust and precise as they say. What say the rest of you?
Thanks, RT

Emerald

I was given a 4000 control unit that was just shutting down also. I unscrewed the back, and discovered the main power supply connector was loose. It was a slide on connection, and a little snugging via needle nose pliers and it's now given me several seasons of service.

Can't address the wandering though. Sounds like a real pain.

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Alpha Poor Service, Drive issues

Alpha has poor service, and a lot of drive problems, I won't go into the lengthly specifics on line here if you need to know more you can mail me. I don't like to diss stuff on the web.

I prefer either the Nexus autopilots, or WH both of which are below decks autopilots. Both of which function better than others I have worked with.

If you think that the 70's design of the alpha is bad, the 60'sish styling of the WH won't be for you, however they would probably steer a aircraft carrier. Although the interface both User and Digital take a lot of getting used to.

I would unabashedly recommend the Nexus system. It preforms excellent on all of the boats I have installed it on including mine.

Guy
:)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Guy,
I have a dumb question.... There are two "Nexus" autopilots that come up when I do a search. The ComNav NX2 with its "nexus" network and the Silva Nexus autopilot, made in Sweden? Clarify that for me? Thanks, RT