Advice Needed on an E-29 Tall Rig Main Sail

Don Calcote

Well, after 32 years my Main Sail has succumbed to the sun and the wind and I'm looking for a good used Sail. I can't find one....Anyone got an idea for a source? Or, here's a better question: The Luff is 31'6" and the Foot is 9'6". Since I've not been able to find exactly that measurement, can I use a bit smaller sail? I'm not a racer, just a weekend cruiser on a 15,000 acre inland lake, so ultimate performance is not critical. What size would work?

Last edited:

Gmilburn

Member III
E-29 Tall Main Sail

Hi Don,

I just bought a new E-29 Tall Main sail a few weeks ago and have taken the old one off the boat. It is a great sail with no rips or worn spots--its quite serviceable--unless you want to race--as it is not crisp as a new one. The only glaring defect is purely visual--the Ericson Logo and the 29 are both brittle and cracked (I actually had new ones custom made--but have not gotten around to putting them on). I have ample photos of it--and have included a couple with this post. I have ordered some sail slugs, that have yet to arrive, so I dont have the new sail up yet. But I plan to hoist this weekend. If it all checks out--Id be happy to sell you the old sail. It is 31.5 ft at luff and 9.5 ft at foot.

I'm thinking it is worth about $300 (plus shipping from Arkansas) and includes 4 partial battens (my new one was almost $1,000). I could include the custom vinyl logos if you would want them--they cost me right at $200 to have made (I can show you the invoice), and they were completed about 2 months ago before I bought the new sail.

Are you interested? If so--send me a private message to gmilburn.

Attachments

• DSCF5503c.jpg
    DSCF5503c.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF5657c.jpg
    DSCF5657c.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF4908c.JPG
    DSCF4908c.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 63